Head out to the magnificent glacial lagoon Jokulsarlon, and follow in the footsteps of James Bond in "Die Another Day" and Lara Croft in "Tomb Raider". This exhilarating full-day excursion from Reykjavik takes you along Iceland's southern coastline, known for its exquisite mountain scenery.
- Full-day tour from Reykjavik to Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon
- Scenic drive past picturesque villages and stunning landscapes
- Skogarfoss waterfall and Skaftafell National Park
- Boat ride on Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon
- Setting for movies including James Bond's Die Another Day and A View to a Kill, and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
- English-speaking tour guide
- Pick-up and drop-off from Reykjavik area hotels and guesthouses
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Jokulsarlon LagoonPhoto by: Terese J
- SkogafossPhoto by: Seng-Lai T
- Jokursarlon Glacier LakePhoto by: Ratul_the_Explorer
- basalt cliffsPhoto by: Donald K
- 125 KM awayPhoto by: Donald K
- View from the shore.Photo by: Donald K
- side view of the fallsPhoto by: Donald K
- Back side of the fallsPhoto by: Donald K
- JökulsarlonPhoto by: hemi-crania
- lavafältPhoto by: hemi-crania
- vanlig synPhoto by: hemi-crania
- VikPhoto by: hemi-crania
- SkogafossPhoto by: hemi-crania
- Ice on the beachPhoto by: Stephanie M
- Boat tour in the lagoonPhoto by: Stephanie M
- Jokulsarlon Lagoon on a ...Photo by: wellyndama
- icebergs on JokulsarlonPhoto by: Siobhan W
- SkogarfossPhoto by: Sabyasachi G
United Kingdom, 04 2014
- waterfallPhoto by: Terese J
- Jokulsarlon Lagoon 1Photo by: ANNABELLA G
What You Can Expect
Many of Iceland's biggest glacier rivers run into the Atlantic Ocean on the country's southern shore. Along the way to this amazing coastline you'll pass charming villages such as Selfoss, Vik and Kirkjubaejarklaustur, and the Skaftafell National Park; there is also a stop to visit the Skogarfoss waterfall. You'll also drive through the vast desert of Skeidarasandur, where sand storms can be so powerful they've been known to strip the paint off a car!
Just before you reach the lagoon, you'll pass Iceland's biggest volcano, Oraefajokull glacier, which also has the highest peak of the island, Hvannadalshnjukur, at 6950 feet (2119 meters).
At the lagoon you will have time to view this stunning area before taking a boat ride. But these are no ordinary boats! They are capable of driving short distances as well as sailing on water - something quite unique!
Jokulsarlon lagoon started to form in the early 1920s, and is growing bigger every year. You will see blocks of ice that have broken off Europe's biggest glacier, Vatnajokull, and are sailing slowly towards the ocean, which is only a mile away. Some of the icebergs are partially covered with volcanic ash from ancient eruptions, and look like sculptures, made by Mother Nature herself!
The Glacier Lagoon was breathtaking...loved it. Only negative is it is a LONG trip but if you are prepared for that , it not a problem. Also make sure you prep with appropriate clothing it can be very cold and very wet.
Although this trip makes for a very long day, the sights were incredible and our guide was knowledgeable and entertaining!
You spend most of he day on the coach and I did'nt realise the number of miles we needed to travel. Lagoon was out of this world!!! Due to the wind we did'nt get out on the boat which was very disappointing.
Waterfalls fantastic but one was visited at night so did'nt get real effect but did see The Northern Lights at this setting. Well worth the journey as it is a once in a life time experience.
Fantastic day out - an absolute must if you visit Iceland.
Incredible! Very well organised tour, very knowledgeable and informative tour guide, and AMAZING sights to see! We were extremely lucky with the weather, even seeing the northern lights on the drive back to Reykjavik. I highly recommend this tour
Fantastic tour of Southern coast and waterfalls with finale of boat trip on glacial lagoon. Long day with many stops and terrific guide Brandon and safe driver Gisli.
Fabulous, exceeded expectations! And we saw the Northern Lights on the return journey. Excellent tour guide and driver.
It was a very smooth trip. The guide was really informative and friendly. She told us many interesting sagas behind the landscapes that we saw and lots of things about Icelandic people. The service was excellent. We were suppose to check in a different accommodation that day and we were worried about where to store our luggage. The driver offered to take it under the coach. That was really kind and unexpected.
Gorgeous scenery and an anphibean to enter the lagoon was fun.
Great program and scenic stops. Very knowledgeable tour guide. Highly recommend it.