- Fimmvorouhals Volcano hike including round-trip transport from Reykjavik
- Stop for photos at Seljalandsfoss Waterfall near Eyjafjallajokull Glacier
- Enjoy a 12-mile (20-km) hike around Fimmvorouhals Volcano in Thorsmork Valley
- Admire the volcanic landscape, seeing craters, cooling lava falls, glaciers and canyons
- Learn about active and extinct Icelandic volcanoes from a local guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Head to Iceland’s south coast to discover incredible waterfalls and glaciers. See a 200-foot (61-meter) waterfall and hike up a volcano to get one of the best views in Iceland!
What You Can Expect
Continue to Basar, a hiking center in the heart of Thorsmork Valley, where your 6-8-hour hike starts. Listen to a short briefing about the hike, and then set off, following your guide at a steady pace along a 12-mile (20-km) trail around the incredible Fimmvorouhals Volcano. Having exploded into being in 2010, the active volcano is a spectacular sight.
Zigzag your way up the trails, seeing vast craters and cooling lava falls as well as incredible views of the Icelandic highlands. Learn about the country’s high concentration of volcanoes – both active and extinct – as you walk, and hear tales of famous eruptions that have happened in the region.
Your hike includes several stops along the way for you to get your breath back and admire the serene yet savage scenery of the volcanic landscapes. Roughly halfway through, stop for a longer lunch break, enjoying food that you brought along.
Work your way back down the trails to Basar, and then relax in the comfort of your 4x4 jeep on the way back to Reykjavik. Your tour finishes with a drop-off at your central Reykjavik hotel.