- 1-hour guided tour around the Olgerdin Brewery in Reykjavik
- Learn about Iceland's prohibition years, and history of alcohol
- Sample famous Icelandic beers including Gull and Malt & Appelsin
- Enjoy a shot of Brennivin schnapps
- Try the beer subsitiute that was produced during prohibition
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from selected Reykjavik hotels
Recent Photos of this Tour
What You Can Expect
While you sample classic Icelandic beers such as Gull and Malt & Appelsin, your expert guide will regale you with stories about Icelandic drinking culture through the ages. Learn about mead, a honey wine that was brewed by the Vikings, and down a shot of Brennivin schnapps, Iceland's signature liquor made from fermented potato mash and caraway seeds.
Iceland was one of many Nordic countries where alcohol prohibition was enforced in the early 1900s, and you'll hear plenty about this fascinating era on your Reykjavik brewery tour. Beer was totally banned in the country until as recently as 1989, but the Icelandic drinkers of the time created an interesting beer substitute that you can sample before your guided tour ends.
This was one of the most fun things we did in Reykjavik!
Our tour guide Olof was fantastic, she was a great combination of historian and entertainer - what a gem!
The beer was ever-flowing, tasty and Olof presented quite a variety - all the while educating us on Icelandic lore, alcohol history in Iceland and keeping us laughing.
Drinking is expensive in Reykjavik, so this tour is not only super fun - it's a great value.
If you like beer, relaxing with other travelers, learning and laughing - do it! You will not be disappointed.
This was a great tour, i would totally do it again.