- 1-hour guided tour around the Olgerdin Brewery in Reykjavik
- Learn about Iceland's prohibition years, and history of alcohol
- Sample famous Icelandic beers including Gull and Malt & Appelsin
- Enjoy a shot of Brennivin schnapps
- Try the beer subsitiute that was produced during prohibition
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from selected Reykjavik hotels
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
While you sample classic Icelandic beers such as Gull and Malt & Appelsin, your expert guide will regale you with stories about Icelandic drinking culture through the ages. Learn about mead, a honey wine that was brewed by the Vikings, and down a shot of Brennivin schnapps, Iceland's signature liquor made from fermented potato mash and caraway seeds.
Iceland was one of many Nordic countries where alcohol prohibition was enforced in the early 1900s, and you'll hear plenty about this fascinating era on your Reykjavik brewery tour. Beer was totally banned in the country until as recently as 1989, but the Icelandic drinkers of the time created an interesting beer substitute that you can sample before your guided tour ends.
Great tour! The tour guide is amazing and so funny. Highly recommended!
This was the best part of visiting Reykjavik for two reasons: unlimited beer and the lady giving the tour was absolutely hilarious. It's a great intro into the odd alcohol history of Iceland, and a great way to sample some of the beers locally brewed. The tour of the factory itself is not the main attraction, the beer itself and the story telling is, and it's worth it.