- 3.5-hour Rome Colosseum tour with skip-the-line ticket
- Enjoy access to all areas of the Colosseum, including places normally off-limits
- Explore the Colosseum's underground chambers and see where wild animals were caged
- Step into the arena where gladiators once fought, before visiting the Colosseum's upper level
- Visit the Roman Forum, walk up Palatine Hill and enjoy views of Nero's Circus Maximus
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Fast-track access makes for a more relaxed and in-depth experience of Rome's biggest attraction. Plus, you get to see the Roman Forum and take in panoramic views from Palatine Hill.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- A Roman Holiday: the ColosseumPhoto by: Carol G
USA, 10 2011
- night in romePhoto by: GRAHAM H
- The ColosseumPhoto by: T31667
- Viator Colosseum TourPhoto by: Keith H J
- The Colosseum from Upper LevelPhoto by: Heather S
- ArenaPhoto by: VIOLETA T
- The Forum TourPhoto by: Jim Williams
- The ColosseumPhoto by: Jim Williams
- History came to life in the ...Photo by: Catherine K
- ColosseumPhoto by: Maria NÖ
Sverige, 09 2015
- Colosseum tourPhoto by: sophie p
- Inside the colosseumPhoto by: Gwendolen H
- Underground chamberPhoto by: Rachel P
- ColosseumPhoto by: Katherine W
- Upper tier ColosseumPhoto by: Christer B
- Thr Roman ColosseumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Roman Colosseum ProfilePhoto by: Sharon M
- Underground in the ColosseumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Ancient Roman ForumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Roman PinesPhoto by: Sharon M
What You Can Expect
Inside, begin below ground to explore the Colosseum’s tunnels, chambers and pits. This section of the amphitheater is only open to a select number of visitors each day, so enjoy this exclusive chance to see more than most people do. While you walk through the underground passageways, listen to stories about the wild animals who were held down here and the Roman gladiators who prepared for their battles here.
Next, head upward, stopping on the arena floor level. Most visitors are restricted to walk only around the edge, but you have access to walk on the floor itself, standing on the same spot where the battles took place. Not much of the original floor remains, but you can peer down through the gaps to see the underground chambers. Then continue moving up to the Colosseum’s upper tier, now open again after it closed in the 1970s. This top level may have been where Rome’s lower classes of spectators were relegated to sit, but it afford panoramic views of the arena—another unique perspective that many visitors don’t get.
Upon exiting the Colosseum, walk with your guide over to the Roman Forum, once the political heart of the city. Take in the sprawl of ancient ruins, and walk up Palatine Hill, once home to Ancient Rome’s wealthy residents, for a view of Circus Maximus, where chariot races took place. Your tour ends on Via Sacra, the main street of Ancient Rome that links the Colosseum to Capitoline Hill.
Please note: The order of sites visited may be reversed during your tour.
This tour was amazing, the guide was very knowledgeable. Being able to see the lower portion of the Colosseum and the upper tier were great. Pictures don't do this tour justice, it is something you should see in person.
Guides were friendly, knowledgeable, funny and helpful.
Our tour guide was the best! Great experience.
Our tour guide, Frederica, was excellent. She is an art historian educated at the University of Rome. She accompanied her professors in one of the Forum's restricted archaeological sites that has since become open to the public. We met early with a great group of people and missed what was a huge line outside the Colosseum. The tour only took half of the day, so we were able to spend the afternoon in other sites.
Excellent guide Francesca, knowledgeable and very clear. Easy to follow directions to meet up with group and would recommend.
Excellent - our guide through the Forum was very knowledgeable and then when we got to the Coliseum we were turned over to their guide. Everything went very smoothly, she explained everything very well and took us to all the places that were promised. I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in ancient Rome
No waiting line, undergrounds and last floor, very good!!
Great tour of the Roman Forum, Palestine Hill, and Coliseum. Our tour guide was very informative and made the history interesting. I like ending in the Coliseum so we could see other items there that we didn't see on the tour.
Loved this tour. We had a great guide. Well worth the money to see the underground chambers.