- 3.5-hour Rome Colosseum tour with skip-the-line ticket
- Enjoy access to all areas of the Colosseum, including places normally off-limits
- Explore the Colosseum's underground chambers and see where wild animals were caged
- Step into the arena where gladiators once fought, before visiting the Colosseum's upper level
- Visit the Roman Forum, walk up Palatine Hill and enjoy views of Nero's Circus Maximus
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Fast-track access makes for a more relaxed and in-depth experience of Rome's biggest attraction. Plus, you get to see the Roman Forum and take in panoramic views from Palatine Hill.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- A Roman Holiday: the ColosseumPhoto by: Carol G
USA, 10 2011
- night in romePhoto by: GRAHAM H
- The ColosseumPhoto by: T31667
- Viator Colosseum TourPhoto by: Keith H J
- The Colosseum from Upper LevelPhoto by: Heather S
- ArenaPhoto by: VIOLETA T
- The Forum TourPhoto by: Jim Williams
- The ColosseumPhoto by: Jim Williams
- History came to life in the ...Photo by: Catherine K
- ColosseumPhoto by: Maria NÖ
Sverige, 09 2015
- Colosseum tourPhoto by: sophie p
- Inside the colosseumPhoto by: Gwendolen H
- Underground chamberPhoto by: Rachel P
- ColosseumPhoto by: Katherine W
- Upper tier ColosseumPhoto by: Christer B
- Thr Roman ColosseumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Roman Colosseum ProfilePhoto by: Sharon M
- Underground in the ColosseumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Ancient Roman ForumPhoto by: Sharon M
- Roman PinesPhoto by: Sharon M
What You Can Expect
Inside, begin below ground to explore the Colosseum’s tunnels, chambers and pits. This section of the amphitheater is only open to a select number of visitors each day, so enjoy this exclusive chance to see more than most people do. While you walk through the underground passageways, listen to stories about the wild animals who were held down here and the Roman gladiators who prepared for their battles here.
Next, head upward, stopping on the arena floor level. Most visitors are restricted to walk only around the edge, but you have access to walk on the floor itself, standing on the same spot where the battles took place. Not much of the original floor remains, but you can peer down through the gaps to see the underground chambers. Then continue moving up to the Colosseum’s upper tier, now open again after it closed in the 1970s. This top level may have been where Rome’s lower classes of spectators were relegated to sit, but it afford panoramic views of the arena—another unique perspective that many visitors don’t get.
Upon exiting the Colosseum, walk with your guide over to the Roman Forum, once the political heart of the city. Take in the sprawl of ancient ruins, and walk up Palatine Hill, once home to Ancient Rome’s wealthy residents, for a view of Circus Maximus, where chariot races took place. Your tour ends on Via Sacra, the main street of Ancient Rome that links the Colosseum to Capitoline Hill.
Please note: The order of sites visited may be reversed during your tour.
Would take this tour every time I bought someone new to Rome. It is more expensive, but you will get access to parts of the colloseum that other can see. They have changed the tour a bit from my past trip to Rome in 2013. You will see the Colloseum and the move to Palentine hill and lastly the Forum.
Kim United States of ...
This was exactly the tour we were looking for: behind the scenes access to parts of the colosseum that are not typically on view to other groups! It was phenomenal walking out onto the floor of the colosseum. We had a good 15 minutes there to get oriented and look around and take pics... stunning views from this spot. And the underground chambers were amazing as well. We went with a guide from the colosseum who had to use keys to access the areas we visited... it felt very special! Our viator guide for the day was Elizabetta and she was very organized, friendly and knowledgeable. After our tour at the colosseum she escorted the group to the Roman Forum, which is stunning. It's a massive site so we zipped through this at a decent pace but after the formal tour was complete we had free time to wander... and we stayed an additional two hours to explore. Well worth the price of this tour!
Better in person than expected. The tour was fantastic, the guides were friendly and knowledgeable, and The underground chambers and skipping the lines well worth the additional expense. Highly recommended.
Underground tour guide was knowledgeable and interesting! Nice to and #34;skip the line and #34; for entry. I was not expecting the level of detailed information we received in the forum. This tour was a highlight of our trip.
Fantastic tour..Chiatra (sp?) Was awesome. Highly recommend. Wish we could have spent more time in the archeological site. Inside the Colosseum was amazing.
Everything you'd expect and more. Spending 3 hours in 2000 year old ruins can't be compared to anything else. Our guide was smart and offered great stories of what we viewed. Bring your own water as it hard to find.
Great to be able to skip the line the tour was great got in to see areas that general admission didn't go.
good guide very interesting subject matter lots of history , long day though
Very educational and entertaining. Loved our guide.
This was a great tour. Our guide was fantastic. I can not find one critism!