- Day trip from Rome to Assisi and Orvieto
- See the breathtakingly beautiful Orvieto Cathedral
- Enjoy lunch at a restaurant on the shores of Lake Trasimeno
- Spend your afternoon in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Assisi in Umbria
- Explore Basilica di San Francesco and the Convent of Santa Chiara
- Stop in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli to see a 9th-century basilica where St Francis of Assisi worshipped
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
A charming escape from the crowds of Rome. Head into the Italian countryside to see the many churches of Orvieto and the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Tour of AssisiPhoto by: Gloria A
- PietaPhoto by: Louis M
- Basilica of St. Francis in ...Photo by: Louis M
- OrivietoPhoto by: Raymond B
- Church Of Saint Francis Of ...Photo by: David L
USA, 04 2015
- La cathédrale d'OrvietoPhoto by: Robert B
- AssisiPhoto by: Katherine D
- OrvietoPhoto by: Katherine D
- assisPhoto by: Beto Solis
Argentina, 11 2014
- The view from AssisiPhoto by: Gilad
Israel, 10 2014
- Basílica de San FranciscoPhoto by: Gloria R
- Recibiendo información ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Foto del cómodo busPhoto by: Gloria R
- Almuerzo en un restaurante ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Toma de la Iglesia de ...Photo by: Gloria R
- En la entrada de Orvieto, ...Photo by: Gloria R
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- TuscanyPhoto by: Josianne X
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- OrvietoPhoto by: Josianne X
What You Can Expect
Explore town on foot, enjoying the Italian charm and passing by many churches, particularly Orvieto Cathedral, a Gothic structure that dates back to the late 1200s and is noted for its stained glass, sculptures and mosaics.
Back on your coach, continue across the rolling landscapes toward Lake Trasimeno, where you’ll stop for lunch. Then head to Assisi, a World Heritage–listed town famed for being the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi, a patron saint of Italy and one of the most legendary figures in religious history.
Take a walking tour of town to see sites related to St Francis’ life, including the stall where he is thought to have been born, his former home and the place where he vowed to dedicate his life to the church. You’ll also learn about Assisi’s other hometown saint, St Clare, one of St Francis’ followers. Visit both the Convent of Santa Chiara, named for her, and the Basilica di San Francesco, dedicated to St Francis, plus see other Assisi sights like Piazza del Comune, Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the town hall and the Roman Temple of Minerva.
Return to your coach to start the drive from Assisi to Rome, stopping on the way in Santa Maria degli Angeli to visit its 9th-century basilica where St Francis is said to have worshipped. Your day trip ends when you arrive back in Rome.
Very good tour - worth every cent!
Excellent tour. The trip and the tour guide were excellent.
Wonderful day trip well worth the time and money. Excellent tour guide, Christina. Wish we had more time in Orvieto beautiful town with lots of things to see. Met some very nice people. Highly recommended!
Amazing!! Loved our guide, beautiful day. Wish we had more time, especially Assisi. We should have gotten lost :
This tour was a must do or any Italian trip. The Assissi is a wonderful little town and I wish I had been able to spend an entire weekend there. Our guide was very knowledgeable and enjoyable. The day was a little long but well worth it if you are traveling from Rome.
A very good day, visiting Orvieto then Assisi. Lunch was good and we had time to enjoy it. The trip was everything it said it would be in the narrative and the guide was extremely knowledgeable, pleasant and made the day pass quickly. The only negative was that we were dropped off quite a way away from our hotel 15 minute walk, unlike other trips we had been on during our stay.
It was a beautiful day, the people on the tour were friendly, the bus comfortable, and the tour guide was knowledgeable and fluent in several languages. The lunch served was below expectations. On balance, it was memorable.
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TOUR TO ALL. IT WAS SO MUCH MORE THAN I EXPECTED. CHRISTINA THE TOUR GUIDE WAS EXCELLENT LIKE AN ANGEL, SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERSON AND PERFECT FOR THIS JOB. THE PLACES YOU GO TO ARE AMAZING. I WANT TO GO BACK TO ASSISI TO SPEND ABOUT 4 NIGHTS TO SEE THE TOWN....A MUST SEE..............
Every aspect of this tour was terrific. Hotel pick-up was prompt and efficient. The tour guide was Christina and right from the start, I knew she would be great. Very personable and you could tell that she liked her job and liked her clients. She gave clear and interesting information about everything we were seeing as we were on the bus. She was concerned about anyone being lost or being unhappy about anything. Orvieto was exquisite and quite a surprise for me. Christine also make sure that we knew where the bathrooms were! Lunch was spectacular! I do not eat meat and they were very happy to prepare a salad for me. The tour of ASsisi with our local guide there was more than I expected. She was also an excellent tour guide and had a true love for Assisi and wanted our every question answered. I have taken many tours in many European cities in this one rankind right at the top because of the tour guides. It's the guides that make or break the trip. Couldn't be happier .......well spent time and money!
This was a very enjoyable tour out from Rome! Definitely a must and do allot time to do this tour when visiting Rome.