Book and travel by March 31, 2016 and save 15% off our previously offered price!
- Day trip from Rome to Assisi and Orvieto
- See the breathtakingly beautiful Orvieto Cathedral
- Enjoy lunch at a restaurant on the shores of Lake Trasimeno
- Spend your afternoon in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Assisi in Umbria
- Explore Basilica di San Francesco and the Convent of Santa Chiara
- Stop in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli to see a 9th-century basilica where St Francis of Assisi worshipped
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
A charming escape from the crowds of Rome. Head into the Italian countryside to see the many churches of Orvieto and the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- OrivietoPhoto by: Raymond B
- Church Of Saint Francis Of ...Photo by: David L
USA, 04 2015
- La cathédrale d'OrvietoPhoto by: Robert B
- AssisiPhoto by: Katherine D
- OrvietoPhoto by: Katherine D
- assisPhoto by: Beto Solis
Argentina, 11 2014
- The view from AssisiPhoto by: Gilad
Israel, 10 2014
- Basílica de San FranciscoPhoto by: Gloria R
- Recibiendo información ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Foto del cómodo busPhoto by: Gloria R
- Almuerzo en un restaurante ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Toma de la Iglesia de ...Photo by: Gloria R
- En la entrada de Orvieto, ...Photo by: Gloria R
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- TuscanyPhoto by: Josianne X
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- OrvietoPhoto by: Josianne X
- AssisiPhoto by: GG
- AssisiPhoto by: Karlson K
- AssisPhoto by: Eduardo Olindo B
What You Can Expect
Explore town on foot, enjoying the Italian charm and passing by many churches, particularly Orvieto Cathedral, a Gothic structure that dates back to the late 1200s and is noted for its stained glass, sculptures and mosaics.
Back on your coach, continue across the rolling landscapes toward Lake Trasimeno, where you’ll stop for lunch. Then head to Assisi, a World Heritage–listed town famed for being the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi, a patron saint of Italy and one of the most legendary figures in religious history.
Take a walking tour of town to see sites related to St Francis’ life, including the stall where he is thought to have been born, his former home and the place where he vowed to dedicate his life to the church. You’ll also learn about Assisi’s other hometown saint, St Clare, one of St Francis’ followers. Visit both the Convent of Santa Chiara, named for her, and the Basilica di San Francesco, dedicated to St Francis, plus see other Assisi sights like Piazza del Comune, Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the town hall and the Roman Temple of Minerva.
Return to your coach to start the drive from Assisi to Rome, stopping on the way in Santa Maria degli Angeli to visit its 9th-century basilica where St Francis is said to have worshipped. Your day trip ends when you arrive back in Rome.
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS TOUR TO ALL. IT WAS SO MUCH MORE THAN I EXPECTED. CHRISTINA THE TOUR GUIDE WAS EXCELLENT LIKE AN ANGEL, SUCH A BEAUTIFUL PERSON AND PERFECT FOR THIS JOB. THE PLACES YOU GO TO ARE AMAZING. I WANT TO GO BACK TO ASSISI TO SPEND ABOUT 4 NIGHTS TO SEE THE TOWN....A MUST SEE..............
Every aspect of this tour was terrific. Hotel pick-up was prompt and efficient. The tour guide was Christina and right from the start, I knew she would be great. Very personable and you could tell that she liked her job and liked her clients. She gave clear and interesting information about everything we were seeing as we were on the bus. She was concerned about anyone being lost or being unhappy about anything. Orvieto was exquisite and quite a surprise for me. Christine also make sure that we knew where the bathrooms were! Lunch was spectacular! I do not eat meat and they were very happy to prepare a salad for me. The tour of ASsisi with our local guide there was more than I expected. She was also an excellent tour guide and had a true love for Assisi and wanted our every question answered. I have taken many tours in many European cities in this one rankind right at the top because of the tour guides. It's the guides that make or break the trip. Couldn't be happier .......well spent time and money!
This was a very enjoyable tour out from Rome! Definitely a must and do allot time to do this tour when visiting Rome.
Outstanding! Well-organized and the sites were spectacular. Our travel hosts were friendly, well-informed and attentive. If we had more time in Rome, we would have gone on more Viator trips.
Even you are not a Catholic, there are enough great arts and charming small rustic towns that make you feel good.
Our tour guide, Stephan, made this trip exceptional! He was fantastic, making personal connections with each member of the group. He added many interesting facts and transmitted his love and excitement for the history of this area to us! His pacing was great and the sights were breathtaking!
This was a wonderful trip. Helene was terrific as a tour guide: informative, funny, and organized.
The guide was great, the locations were breathtaking. I would never have traveled to these places by myself. Would highly recommend.
Most inspiring to visit the life to St Francis. Second visit and will do it again.
The lunch place was poor and we spent to much time over lunch. The trip should go straight to Assisi and rather have lunch and relax at the destination
Great place to visit
$102.23 Save $15.34