Book by Dec 15, 2015 to save 10% off our previously offered price!
- Day trip from Rome to Assisi and Orvieto
- See the breathtakingly beautiful Orvieto Cathedral
- Enjoy lunch at a restaurant on the shores of Lake Trasimeno
- Spend your afternoon in the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Assisi in Umbria
- Explore Basilica di San Francesco and the Convent of Santa Chiara
- Stop in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli to see a 9th-century basilica where St Francis of Assisi worshipped
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
A charming escape from the crowds of Rome. Head into the Italian countryside to see the many churches of Orvieto and the birthplace of St Francis of Assisi.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- OrivietoPhoto by: Raymond B
- Church Of Saint Francis Of ...Photo by: David L
USA, 04 2015
- La cathédrale d'OrvietoPhoto by: Robert B
- AssisiPhoto by: Katherine D
- OrvietoPhoto by: Katherine D
- assisPhoto by: Beto Solis
Argentina, 11 2014
- The view from AssisiPhoto by: Gilad
Israel, 10 2014
- Basílica de San FranciscoPhoto by: Gloria R
- Recibiendo información ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Foto del cómodo busPhoto by: Gloria R
- Almuerzo en un restaurante ...Photo by: Gloria R
- Toma de la Iglesia de ...Photo by: Gloria R
- En la entrada de Orvieto, ...Photo by: Gloria R
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- TuscanyPhoto by: Josianne X
- AssisiPhoto by: Josianne X
- OrvietoPhoto by: Josianne X
- AssisiPhoto by: GG
- AssisiPhoto by: Karlson K
- AssisPhoto by: Eduardo Olindo B
What You Can Expect
Stretch your legs and walk around the town, seeing highlights like the 14th-century Orvieto Cathedral – a masterpiece of Gothic architecture with a glistening façade of stained glass, mosaics and sculptures. Soak up Orvieto’s charms and admire the countless churches that are scattered around its center.
Return to your coach and travel through the rolling hills toward Umbria – Tuscany’s lesser known but just as captivating neighbor. Stop for lunch on the shores of Lake Trasimeno, and then continue to the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of Assisi.
Famed as the birthplace of Italy’s Catholic patron saint, St Francis of Assisi, the sleepy little town documents all the highs and lows of his life. On a walking tour, see the stall where he was said to be born, his childhood home, and the spot where he pledged his life to his vocation. Hear of the town’s other, lesser-known saint, St Clare, who became one of St Francis’ first true followers. Visit the Convent of Santa Chiara, which is dedicated to her, before heading to Assisi's Basilica di San Francesco for a tour.
Other Assisi highlights include the town hall square, Piazza del Comune, with its turreted ‘palace’-- Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo. Admire the Roman Temple of Minerva and then return to your coach for the journey south.
Before your tour ends, enjoy a final stop in the town of Santa Maria degli Angeli to see its beautiful basilica – a 9th-century church where St Francis reportedly worshiped. Head back to Rome and finish your tour at the start point in the early evening.
Most inspiring to visit the life to St Francis. Second visit and will do it again.
The lunch place was poor and we spent to much time over lunch. The trip should go straight to Assisi and rather have lunch and relax at the destination
Great place to visit
wonderful day in Orvieto and Assisi
Very hghly recommended. Not to be missed
Loved the opportunity to see both areas. Of course would love more time in each place....but there are only 24 hours in a day!
excellent tour with knowledgeable and friendly guides. Superb driver,
Wonderful tour. The tour guides were fabulous. Tour guide on bus Had a hard job because some of the people on our bus didn't really follow instruction well!! But we saw beautiful places and had a lovely meal with the group. We would definitely recommend this tour. Would go again when back in Rome.
Absolutely fantastic tour. Our guide Christina was excellent she was friendly and knowledgeable. Orvieto was gorgeous and we had an hour to spend there, but because the stores hadn't opened yet, it would have been nice to stay for an extra 30 minutes. The lunch on the way to Assisi was just beautiful with great location. We had a very knowledge guide in Assisi, and the only downside was that we only had 20 minutes or so for free time in the town. But all in all, I would highly recommend this tour.
Orvieto was outstanding. The cathedral and town were spectacular.
In Assis it was very moving to be at the tomb of St Francis. The only negative is that my sister and I can't walk very far however the tour operator graciously let us out at the top so we could see the area and then advised us on the taxi services that took us to where the rest of the tour would gather to go home.
The tour guides and company used to take this tour were excellent!
$107.65 Save $10.77