- Naples and Pompeii day trip from Rome with an expert guide
- Travel through Castelli Romani on the way south to the Campania region
- Pass through Santa Lucia and stop for photos in front of Castel dell’Ovo on the seafront
- See top Naples attractions from the comfort of your coach: Piazza del Plebiscito, San Carlo Opera House and Castel Nuovo
- Explore Pompeii’s UNESCO-listed ruins and learn about Mount Vesuvius’ eruption of AD 79
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
It's a journey loaded with arresting sights, including the enchanting medieval villages of Castelli Romani and the distinctive outline of Mt Vesuvius. Your guide gives you a thorough overview of ancient Pompeii.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- PompeiiPhoto by: Marjorie W
- Rome 10-2010 070Photo by: Louis C
- Man, PompeiiPhoto by: Darci W
- Appreciating the size of ...Photo by: Liesl V
South Africa, 06 2010
- Worshipping the mountain?Photo by: Charles P
USA, 06 2010
- Pompeii PorticoPhoto by: Patrick M
Ireland, 02 2009
- NaplesPhoto by: Erika H
USA, 08 2008
- Bay of NaplesPhoto by: Salvatore R
USA, 06 2008
- On top of the worldPhoto by: Angela H
USA, 05 2008
- A street in PompeiiPhoto by: Kris W
United Kingdom, 03 2008
- You Should Be Here with MTC ...Photo by: mareejulian
Australia, 08 2015
- MJMbiz-Travel Club MTC at the ...Photo by: mareejulian
Australia, 08 2015
- Terrible lunchPhoto by: mariaiaiello
- GrupoPhoto by: Fabiano
- Visita en Pompeya abril 2015Photo by: Aristides B
- Pompei tourPhoto by: Philip R
- NAPOLESPhoto by: Rosario B
- PompeyaPhoto by: Rosario B
- Caught by the Volcanic AshPhoto by: Maria A B
- Beware of DogPhoto by: Maria A B
What You Can Expect
Begin your Rome to Naples day trip with a pickup from your hotel. Or, simply meet your guide near Rome Termini station. Once aboard your coach, relax on the journey south to the Campania region and look out for sights such as the Abbey of Montecassino. The Benedictine monastery is a dramatic sight, perched on top of a hill in the rocky Castelli Romani area.
After three hours on the road, arrive in the Campania capital of Naples, and see its sights from the comfort of your coach. Take in views of the coast as you pass along the road from Mergellina Port to the fishing district of Santa Lucia. Then, stretch your legs with a photo stop by the medieval seaside fort of Castel dell’Ovo.
Work your way into Naples’ historic center for a look at Piazza del Plebiscito and its fine collection of monuments. Hear snippets of history about Naples Royal Palace (aka Palacio Real), the three Bourbon palaces and the Basilica of San Francesco di Paola — a church with attention-grabbing colonnades. Other Naples attractions seen include Castel Nuovo, Galleria Umberto I and Teatro di San Carlo.
Leave the city by coach and travel further south toward Mt Vesuvius. Pass towns such as Ercolano — home to the ancient site of Herculaneum — as well as Torre del Greco and Torre Annunziata. Stop in Pompeii for lunch at a local restaurant, and then visit Pompeii’s UNESCO-listed ruins on a 2-hour tour.
Hear how the city lay buried under a sea of volcanic ash from Mt Vesuvius as you admire the excavations of monuments such as the 5,000-seater Teatro Grande.
Finally, return to your coach and relax on your journey back to Rome. Your tour finishes with a drop-off in Rome.
Our tour was absolutely amazing. It was the perfect trip to add to our adventures through Italy!
The Pompeii part of the tour was great, simply amazing to see this ancient city. The Naples part was just ok. You are only there for a short time, and there isn't much to do except grab a quick view.
Trip was excellent. Everything was on time. City tour of Naples was great. Meal at Restaurant was adequate. Pompeii was amazing. Highly recommended this trip
The tour was well worth doing, however worth noting that if you are not staying at a hotel you must get to the Terminus which was difficult for us because the tour was very early and we had children with us. However this was made up for by the warmth of our guides. We really enjoyed the day.
Fantastic guide, great meal, great company on bus and Pompeii is worth the trip. Amazing historical place to visit.
Pick up on time from hotel tour guide was great around Pompeii and Naples and over all had a great day
It was an excellent tour. There were 8 in our group, and everyone enjoyed the whole day.
Wonderful! Very interesting and lunch was delicious.