- Skip the line outside the Colosseum with your priority-entrance ticket
- Learn all about the gladiators and the emperors who decided their fates
- Walk around the first and second tiers of the Colosseum, hearing its history from your guide
- Explore the Roman Forum, seeing the House of the Vestal Virgins and walking along Via Sacre
- Upgrade and gain access the Colosseum’s arena floor, underground chambers and third tier
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
This skip-the-line tour is perfect for first-time visitors to Rome! I recommend the upgrade for a more personal experience and access to areas of the Colosseum most visitors don't see.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Colosseum TourPhoto by: Jeff
Australia, 07 2013
- At the Colosseum in RomePhoto by: Andrew G
- P1070916Photo by: pooley
- On top of Capitoline HillPhoto by: John V
United States of America, 06 2012
- DSC_0787Photo by: Paul L
USA, 01 2012
- Ancient Rome: the Colosseum.Photo by: susan S
- DSC06069Photo by: Charlene T
- IMG_1809_cropPhoto by: Kimberly W
- walking fro forum to coliseoPhoto by: Anonymous
- AlexPhoto by: Alex Argueta
USA, 12 2009
- ArenaPhoto by: Ray O
United Kingdom, 12 2009
- ColosseumPhoto by: Lindsay L
Canada, 08 2009
- Small TemplePhoto by: WILLIAM B
United Kingdom, 10 2008
- The ForumPhoto by: WILLIAM B
United Kingdom, 10 2008
- The ColosseumPhoto by: Michael B
USA, 08 2008
- Our Colosseum experience!Photo by: David F
Bermuda, 07 2008
- Colosseum 2016Photo by: David S
- Standing at the foot of an ...Photo by: Joe B
- Mandatory selfiePhoto by: Joe B
- Our Guide, BarbaraPhoto by: Joe B
What You Can Expect
Next, exit the Colosseum and walk over to the Roman Forum, once the political heart of the city. Get an up-close view of ancient remains like the House of the Vestal Virgins and the Temple of Julius Caesar, and then walk up Palatine Hill for another perspective of the ruins, including Circus Maximus, where chariot races once took place. Your tour ends here, from where you can continue exploring on your own.
Optional upgrade to the Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour: Underground Chambers, Arena and Upper Tier (3.5 hours)
For a more thorough exploration of the Colosseum, select the upgrade option when booking for a tour that includes access to the third tier, the arena floor and the underground chambers—sections of the Colosseum that are either newly opened or typically closed to the general public. You’ll see more than most visitors do.
Walk around the reconstructed floor of the arena, where the gladiators once dueled in bloody battles, and look down through the gaps into the underground chambers. Then make your way below ground to explore the chambers themselves, checking out pits where wild animals like tigers and lions were held, before heading up to the third tier for a panoramic view into the Colosseum and out to Palatine Hill. Your tour ends with a visit to the Roman Forum, as described in the standard tour.
This product is part of the following categories :
Our tour guide was Salvatore and he was really nice. Lots of information given and made it come alive for us. Would recommend. Tour was on time and worth every penny paid
Mariella was knowledgable, friendly and obviously passionate about her subject. The group was fairly small in number compared to some that we saw, and the audio system is great because you can look at things without having to crowd around the guide all the time. A great tour, we would definitely use you again.
Superb trip with a very knowledgeable guide who made the tour more enjoyable. Highly recommend this tour.
Fantastic tour. Thoroughly enjoyed our guided tour around the Colosseum and ancient Rome. Guide was so informative and really made it enjoyable . I didn't want it to end. Would book again through Viator.Well worth the money. Thanks
Our tour guide was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and passionate about the subject. Had a great time!
guide was delightful
Excellent tour guide, passionate about her city. A lovely lady November 2015.
Guide was an archeology student - very knowledgeable and personable. Definitely worth the money to skip the line and the geek in me loved the insight from our student/ guide. Included the Roman Forum. Don't skip it! Afterwards, take the time to tour the palace ruins at the top of Palatine Hill. So glad we did this.
What a fabulous tour and what a great guide. We were a small group which helped but overall what a fantastic experience. I have visited the COlosseum before on a tour but this was so much better and very reasonably priced. Going on to the Forum was great and overall the tour was really good value and the guide was absolutely great. Would highly recommend !
Excellent tour, very informative, enjoyed it enormously!