If you want to see the Colosseum Underground Chambers, Arena and Upper Tier, then upgrade! – These areas that are either newly opened or normally off-limits.
- Skip the line outside the Colosseum with your priority-entrance ticket
- Learn all about the gladiators and the emperors who decided their fates
- Walk around the first and second tiers of the Colosseum, hearing its history from your guide
- Explore the Roman Forum, seeing the House of the Vestal Virgins and walking along Via Sacre
- Upgrade and gain access the Colosseum’s arena floor, underground chambers and third tier
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
This skip-the-line tour is perfect for first-time visitors to Rome! I recommend the upgrade for a more personal experience and access to areas of the Colosseum most visitors don't see.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Colosseum TourPhoto by: Jeff
Australia, 07 2013
- At the Colosseum in RomePhoto by: Andrew G
- P1070916Photo by: pooley
- On top of Capitoline HillPhoto by: John V
USA, 06 2012
- DSC_0787Photo by: Paul L
USA, 01 2012
- Ancient Rome: the Colosseum.Photo by: susan S
- DSC06069Photo by: Charlene T
- IMG_1809_cropPhoto by: Kimberly W
- walking fro forum to coliseoPhoto by: Anonymous
- AlexPhoto by: Alex Argueta
USA, 12 2009
- ArenaPhoto by: Ray O
United Kingdom, 12 2009
- ColosseumPhoto by: Lindsay L
Canada, 08 2009
- Small TemplePhoto by: WILLIAM B
United Kingdom, 10 2008
- The ForumPhoto by: WILLIAM B
United Kingdom, 10 2008
- The ColosseumPhoto by: Michael B
USA, 08 2008
- Our Colosseum experience!Photo by: David F
Bermuda, 07 2008
- View of the ColosseumPhoto by: Marie W
- ColloseumPhoto by: Katherine K
- Tour Guide AlessandroPhoto by: Katherine K
- BUCKLIST DREAM COME TRUEPhoto by: dscacevedo
What You Can Expect
As you walk around the Colosseum’s first and second tiers, your guide will keep you entertained with tales of gladiators, mock sea-battles and executions -- a fascinating insight into the amphitheater's gruesome past. Wander its circumference and learn what it must have been like when the crowds were roaring and the gladiator’s fate was decided by an emperor on a whim.
After exploring the Colosseum, head outside and walk the short distance to the Roman Forum for an up-close look at some of Ancient Rome’s most evocative ruins. See sites like the Temple of Julius Caesar and the intriguing House of the Vestal Virgins, before strolling up Palatine Hill to admire the views of the ruins below. Look down over Nero’s Circus Maximus, where chariot races were once held, and then finish your tour on the Palatine Hill – the most famous of the Seven Hills of Rome.
If you want to explore the Colosseum, and enjoy access to the arena floor, the underground chambers and the third tier, then upgrade! These areas are either newly opened or normally off limits, so by upgrading you’ll experience the Colosseum as few others do. The Upgrade option last 3.5hours.
Walk around the reconstructed arena floor, where the gladiators once fought, and peer down in to the underground chambers below. Then, head below ground to explore them yourself, seeing the pits where lions and tigers were once caged. Your Colosseum experience finishes with a stroll around the third tier where you can enjoy panoramic views into the Colosseum as well as out onto Palatine Hill. Your tour finishes with a visit to the Roman Forum as per the standard tour option.
Mariella was a fantastic guide. Highly recommend.
Our guide Claudia was fantastic!!! What an interesting and awe inspiring tour....
Highly recommended and I enjoyed the morning immensely
This tour was amazing!
Everyone should have the pleasure of this tour.. It was amazing.
guide was excellent and very knowledgeable
The tour was most informative and the guide was terrific!
Our guide led us efficiently in a very educational way and gave us a plethora of information in a very engaging way.
I love this tour, very informative and fun. Giusseppe our tour guide was really good, friendly, nice and very knowledgeable and handled the group's well..
We absolutely loved this tour! Our guide, Claudia, was fantastic! We learned so much while getting to see amazing history. A can and #39;t miss!
Claudia our tour guide was fantastic. Rome is the most beautiful city in the world and the colosseum is a must see. Truly an epic structure, with an incredible history!