Imagine taking a helicopter flight over an active volcano Well, here is your chance to do just that on a sightseeing tour of Rotorua by helicopter. You'll spot marine life from the air, have the option of landing on one or two islands and see New Zealand's magnificent scenery from above.
- 3.5-hour scenic helicopter flight over Rotorua
- Approximately one-hour visit to White Island
- Second landing at Mt Tarawera if option selected
- Scenic views and wildlife spotting
- Your choice of departure time between 9am and 5pm
- Pickup and drop off from selected Rotorua hotels
Your flight takes you east over views of lakes, forest and the volcanic fault line. You'll land for approximately an hour on White Island, the most continuously active of New Zealand's volcanoes, and take a trek up to the crater. White Island soars nearly 1,000 feet (300 meters) above sea level and 70% is under the water, making it New Zealand's largest volcano.
If the option is chosen you will also land at Mount Tarawera. This volcano is made of rhyolite, a very viscous lava which does not flow easily. Tarawera has a very impressive feature a chasm which passes through all three domes and opens up their interior. The higher parts are reachable by foot.
On your return flight, keep an eye out for dolphins and schools of fish visible on the surface of the water beneath you.