- Enjoy a scenic afternoon tour filled with history and culture
- Learn about the former Maori village, destroyed during the Tarawera volcanic eruption
- See the blue and green lakes, Lake Tikitapu and Lake Rotokakahi
- Traveling in a small group, maximum 12 passengers allowing a unique and intimate experience
- Hotel pickup and drop off
What You Can Expect
Tour continues with a drive to picturesque Lake Tarawera. Look out over lake and learn the history and legends of the great eruption of Mount Tarawera. Short walk to ancient Maori rock paintings. Finish the day with a guided tour through The Buried Village, the site of a former Maori village, destroyed during the Tarawera eruption. New museum housing English and Maori antiquities. Scenic walk through excavations, native bush, trout filled river and waterfalls.
More than one hundred years ago, the serenity enjoyed by a former Maori village would be shattered by an outpouring of the Earth's fury. A volcanic eruption lasting more than four terrifying hours hurled rocks, ash and boiling hot mud into the air. Five thousand square miles of countryside was buried. You'll visit The Buried Village plus Lake Tarawera with views of Mt Tarawera volcano and much more!