Tour Rotorua's most popular geothermal parks and colorful lakes on a day trip led by a local naturalist guide. You'll see the Lady Knox Geyser erupt, visit the Lake Tarawera lookout and see boiling mud pools and hot springs at Wai-O-Tapu. Along the way, you'll learn all about volcanology, New Zealand's stunning flora and fauna, and Maori history from your naturalist guide.
- Day trip to Rotorua's geysers, mud pools, volcanoes and lakes
- Boiling mud pools and hot springs at Wai-O-Tapu
- Eruption of Lady Knox Geyser
- Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake) and Lake Rotokakahi (Green Lake)
- All attractions fully guided and commentated by local naturalist guide
- Pickup and drop-off from centrally located Rotorua hotels
- Traveling in a small group, maximum 12 passengers allowing a unique and intimate experience
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Your day trip takes you through forestry and farmland to New Zealand's largest boiling mud pool and a series of colorful hot springs at Wai-O-Tapu. After seeing the Lady Knox geyser erupt, you'll take a short drive to the Waimangu volcanic valley, where your guide will tell you about the Mt Tarawera eruption which blew open this spectacular, bush-covered, geothermal park.
Lake Tikitapu (Blue Lake) and Lake Rotokakahi (Green Lake) are amazingly clear and colorful lakes, and their gorgeous scenery make them a favorite stop for visitors. You'll also visit the Buried Village, the site of a Maori village that was destroyed during the Tarawera volcanic eruption. You'll then take a walk through beautiful native bush to a waterfall and the Lake Tarawera lookout.
Trent was a great guide, very knowledgeable, generous spirited and very good value. Glad we took the full day tour rather than the half day because we got to see so much more of the local area and another geyser.
We had a wonderful time and Trent was spectacular on our trip. This has been one of the highlights on our vacation and we highly recommend it!