- Half-day trip to the famous Hohenwerfen Fortress from Salzburg
- Discover the beauty of the Alps as you drive through the Salzach Valley to Werfen
- Visit the castle and learn about its past from your expert guide
- Visit the castle’s museums and learn everything about falconry
- Enjoy a unique and impressive ‘Birds of Prey’ falcon show
- Complimentary hotel pickup
What You Can Expect
Built 900 years ago high on a hilltop, the castle has kept its impressive structure and offers fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. Take a guided tour of the castle and listen as your guide uncovers the secrets of the castle’s past. Learn how Hohenwerfen had different uses across the centuries, including a court, prison, fortress and chapel. It also served as the scene for the movie Where Eagles Dare, starring Clint Eastwood.
After a guided tour of the castle, enjoy some free time for a coffee in one of the restaurants inside the fortress. Your visit continues with a visit of the museum inside the fortress. Explore Austria’s very first museum of falconry, an interactive exhibition of 700 years of melee weapons and firearms. Then, visit the falconry trail, where you'll learn everything about falcons. At the end of the day, enjoy a fantastic and unique falcon falcon flight demonstration by various birds of prey show before coming back to Salzburg with your guide.
Wonderful castle. The tour was in German. I was given a handheld device which was recorded in English. I also had a great time exploring castle on my own and I ate there.
The fortress was amazing! And the views from the fortress were spectacular!