- Eagle’s Nest and Bavarian Alps private tour from Salzburg
- Travel across the old Austrian-German border into Bavaria to reach Obersalzberg, the site of Hitler’s residential complex
- Ride up the steep mountain in a specially equipped coach to reach the Eagle’s Nest
- Take a lavishly decorated elevator up to the Eagle’s Nest for phenomenal views of the Alps
- Make a brief stop in Berchtesgaden, another historically significant World War II site
- Private tour allows greater flexibility and ensures more individualized attention from your guide
What You Can Expect
At the foot of Obersalzberg, transfer into a bus fitted with a special engine and brakes for a 4-mile (6.5 km) trip along a road just 13 feet (4-meters) wide with a 22% grade.
When the road ends, walk through a 407-foot (124-meter) long tunnel to a World War II-era elevator built directly into the mountain. This opulent elevator is lined with brass, mirrors and leather and takes you inside the Eagle's Nest (Kehlsteinhaus).
Though the Eagle’s Nest was built as a retreat for Adolph Hitler as a 50th birthday gift, Hitler rarely visited the house. Today, this historical site located at an elevation of 6,017 feet (1,834 meters) is famous for its incredible views.
Walk around the property and up to the summit of Obersalzberg to admire stunning views of lush green valleys and the snow-capped Bavarian and Austrian Alps. Feel free to take plenty of photos and ask your knowledgeable guide as many questions as you wish about the history and significance of the Eagle’s Nest. Being on a private tour means you can take your time and get the most out of your visit.
On the way back to Salzburg, stop briefly at Berchtesgaden, which once was the site of important Third Reich buildings but today is a popular and lovely recreational area. You'll have 45 minutes in Berchtesgaden to explore and get a bite to eat (own expense).
Your 5-hour private trip to the Eagle’s Nest ends with drop-off at your Salzburg hotel.
Please note that entrance fees to the Kehlsteinhaus are not included in the tour price and have to be paid on the day (approx. 16.10 euros per adult and 9.30 euros per child)
A beautiful ride to such a historic site
Andreas was our guide and the best! Loved this day and all he did. My husband even left something in in car! And Andreas later delivered it to our hotel. Love the private tour, had its advantages.