- Half-day private tour of Hallstatt from Salzburg
- Travel through picturesque villages and admire stunning views of the Dachstein
- Tour Hallstatt, an ancient town known for its salt production and connection to several early cultures
- Take a train up to the world's oldest salt mine and a boat ride on Lake Hallstatt
- See the unique Bone House, a collection of 1,200 painted human skulls
- Private tour ensures more personalized attention from your guide
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
This is such a beautiful, relaxing escape from Salzburg. I would highly recommend taking a boat ride on Lake Hallstatt -- the views are sublime!
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Your guide will explain the immense cultural significance of Hallstatt, an old salt mining town that has been linked to prehistoric Celtic peoples. Because of the ancient area's rich stores of natural salt, it is one of the first places humans are known to have settled.
In Hallstatt, consult with your guide to decide on your sightseeing itinerary and explore on your own for half an hour if you wish. You can travel by mountain train up to the world's oldest salt mine (entry at own expense) and take in picture-postcard views of the town below. Take a walk around Lake Hallstatt and observe how the houses above you cling to the mountainside. Admire the Mühlbach Waterfall cascading down the mountain and take a scenic boat ride out on the lake (own expense).
Check out the incredible Beinhaus (Bone House) behind the Catholic church (own expense), a fascinating collection of 1,200 painted human skulls. When Hallstatt ran out of burial grounds in the 1700s, corpses were exhumed and the skulls were decorated to preserve the memory of the deceased.
Relax and capture lovely photos on the drive back to Salzburg. Your 5-hour customizable private tour of Hallstatt and the gorgeous Austrian countryside concludes with drop-off at your Salzburg hotel.