- The Sound of Music filming locations tour in Salzburg
- See the beautiful locations where scenes from the movie were filmed
- Listen to the soundtrack and sing along to famous songs
- Visit the gazebo where 'Sixteen Going on Seventeen' was shot
- Free time in Mondsee, location of Maria and Captain Von Trapp's wedding
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Taken at Mondsee . . .Photo by: Alvin Q
- Leopoldskron Palace - the ...Photo by: Jonathan C
- Bea voelt zich hier MariaPhoto by: Cornelia v
- DSC07289Photo by: Gina B A
- The back of the house from ...Photo by: Aleksandrs J
- DO RE MI FountainPhoto by: Aleksandrs J
- You are 16 gazeeboPhoto by: Aleksandrs J
- Wolfgan LakePhoto by: Aleksandrs J
- The bus!Photo by: Aleksandrs J
- Max the Dog at Hellbrun CastlePhoto by: Derek K
- MondseePhoto by: Marichris
- Mirabell Gardens in SalzburgPhoto by: Marichris
- StatuesPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- GazeboPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- ChurchPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- Mansion by the lakePhoto by: BEVERLEY
- Mountain lakePhoto by: BEVERLEY
- Beautiful SalzburgPhoto by: BEVERLEY
- Mountain panoramaPhoto by: P V
- The GazeboPhoto by: Edward S
What You Can Expect
Continue to the charming town of Mondsee, where you will have free time to explore the setting of the film’s wedding at the Mondsee Cathedral. Wander the streets at your leisure, stopping for a delicious slice of crisp apple strudel or perusing the local shops.
Your tour will conclude with drop-off at your original departure point in central Salzburg.
The Sound of Music Film Locations in Salzburg:
- Mirabell Gardens - The Mirabell Gardens were laid out in the 18th century. Maria and the children were seen dancing around the statue of Pegasus, the winged horse, and throughout the gardens singing 'Do-Re-Mi.'
- Leopoldskron Castle - The front side of the castle was used as the Trapp family home, the children were boating on the Leopoldskron Lake and fell into the water. The Venetian room was copied from the castle and used as the ballroom.
- Hellbrunn Castle - This hunting castle was built in the early 17th century by Prince-Archbishop Markus Sittikus. In the gardens the glass pavillion was reconstructed for the pleasure of those fans still returning after 30 years.
- Nonnberg Abbey - Nonnberg Abbey is the oldest convent in the German speaking part of Europe. Maria was a novice there. The baron and Maria were married here in 1927. The scenes for the movie made here include the opening with the nuns going to Mass and Maria coming too late.
- St Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang - Scenery shown at the beginning of the movie was filmed at Lake Fuschl on the way to St Gilgen. Like the Mozart family, visitors from all over the world appreciate the beautiful village in the Salzkammergut.
- Wedding Church Mondsee - Mondsee Cathedral was used as the location for Maria and the Baron's wedding in the film.
Please note: The coach will visit all film locations listed above. You will get off the bus at Leopoldskron Castle, Hellbrunn Castle, St Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang and Mondsee.
The tour guide, Peter, made the entire tour! He was funny, informative, and kept the passengers involved the entire time. Regardless of the rain, we had a blast!
Friends of ours took the tour the following week and were sorely disappointed with their British female guide, so I guess we hit it just right.
Loved this tour- loved the tour guide! So much fun and a very enjoyable experience reminiscing about The Sound of Music!
This tour was awesome! Chritina/Chrystal was the cutest tour guide with great enthusiasm, professionalism, knowledge, and talent! She sang on the bus, gave us lots of fun information about film and the real Von Trapps, and she had a great attitude about the horrible weather we had that day. A to this tour, if I had the opportunity I would take it again!
Absolutely fantastic!! Our tour guide David was superb and made the experience highly entertaining from start to finish. This is a must do tour when visiting Salzburg, stopping off at some brilliant sights such as St Gilgen and Wolfgangsee.
Fantastic tour, Sound of Music, sightseeing, scenery, mountains - everything! Just amazing experience.
I booked this as a gift for my partner and wasn't particularly looking forward to it but it was truly amazing and the tour guide Christina was fabulous. I would recommend this to anyone who has seen the movie and those that haven't as the scenery is truly stunning
Three generations, myself, my daughter, my sister and my 84 year old mother had the most wonderful tour. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the whole coach of 70 were singing along. The tour guide, David, was brilliant and the commentary was balanced about right. If you are a fan of the Sound of Music then this is a must! It is just a shame that the Austrians do not appreciate it in the way that we do.
One of my favorite tours I have taken with Viator. Our tour guide Peter was hilarious, knowledgeable and fun! Made the tour unforgettable.
Loved the tour and loved our guide.