- Combined Alcatraz audio-walking tour and excursion to Muir Woods and Sausalito
- Listen to an audio-guided walking tour of the Alcatraz 'Cell Block' (if Alcatraz option is selected at time of booking), otherwise, enjoy a 1.5-hour bay cruise around Alcatraz
- Explore the giant redwood sequoia trees at Muir Woods
- Shop and relax in Sausalito, California's prettiest town
- Enjoy convenient pickup and drop-off from central San Francisco hotels
- Access FREE wireless on board tour vehicle
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
An interesting contrast between the bleak prison and the freeing beauty of the woods. You'll experience a walking audio tour of Alcatraz, a stroll among the awe-inspiring trees of Muir Woods and a short stop in picturesque Sausalito. Three don't-miss attractions all in one day!
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Steve & LorrainePhoto by: Stephen M
United Kingdom, 05 2010
- muir woodsPhoto by: maureen d
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Jennifer J
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Jennifer J
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Rensie P
- Golden Gate BridgePhoto by: Rensie P
- Good guides on tourPhoto by: Francisco Silva
- Arraving to AlacatrazPhoto by: HERNAN B
- une geolePhoto by: majoe1
- les sequoiasPhoto by: majoe1
- secouyas gigantesPhoto by: Myriam M
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Maura M
- AlcatrazPhoto by: PATRICE L
- Pont du Golden GatePhoto by: PATRICE L
- Séquoias géant ...Photo by: PATRICE L
- MUIR WOODSPhoto by: Linda G
- ALCATRAZPhoto by: Linda G
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Chris M
- Inside a Redwood treePhoto by: Bob
- Redwoods of Muir WoodsPhoto by: Bob
What You Can Expect
When booking this combo Muir Woods and Alcatraz tour from San Francisco, you have two options—an Alcatraz admission ticket, which includes the ferry to and from the island, or a cruise that circles Alcatraz Island, providing up-close views but no access to the prison itself (the cruise option is a good alternative if Alcatraz admission is sold out on your preferred date).
Muir Woods and Sausalito (included with both tour options):
Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and travel north to Muir Woods National Monument for your exploration of the giant coastal redwood trees. This old-growth forest is home to some of the planet’s oldest and tallest trees, which you can admire in all their glory as you walk along shady paths.
Then head to Sausalito, a picturesque small town just north of the Golden Gate Bridge that sits between the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Bay. You have leisure time here to walk along the waterfront, maybe purchase a snack (own expense) or perhaps shop in the galleries and boutiques.
If you select this option when booking, you’ll board the ferry to Alcatraz at Pier 33 on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. Enjoy the scenic ride across San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz Island, and disembark to start your independent tour of this island prison. Put on your provided headset to listen to the award-winning audio tour, “Doing Time,” and learn about notorious criminals like Al Capone who were incarcerated here. Hear about escape attempts from 'The Rock,' and listen to commentary from former inmates and staff.
Escape from the Rock cruise:
This 90-minute cruise on the bay takes you underneath the Golden Gate Bridge before circling Alcatraz Island twice, providing plenty of photo ops and time to study the former penitentiary from the water. Listen to spine-tingling stories about escape attempts, and hear about what prison life was like for famous inmates like Machine Gun Kelly. This fascinating cruise includes chilling sound effects and tales about Al Capone, Billy Cook the Killer, Clyde Johnson and more. (This tour option does not include a ticket to Alcatraz itself.)
- The tour schedule for the day depends on the availability for Alcatraz. For example, if Alcatraz is available in the morning, the tour commences at the pier to begin with the Alcatraz portion. If there is no availability for Alcatraz in the morning, upon arrival at Fisherman's Wharf you will commence with Muir Woods and Sausalito and then continue to the pier for Alcatraz in the afternoon, returning at leisure
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes approximately 2 hours to complete, with the audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure
- The Escape from the Rock Cruise departs Fisherman's Wharf at 11:30am, leaving 1 hour after conclusion of the cruise to relax at Fisherman's Wharf before the Muir Woods tour departs at 2:00pm
- The Muir Woods and Sausalito section consists of at least 4 hours in total
- There is a 1 hour and 15 minute stop at Muir Woods. Passengers may choose whether they wish to walk the trail or not. This short, self-guided walk takes approximately 30 minutes
- The stop in Sausalito is 30-45 minutes at leisure
Besutiful peaceful place amazing. Again the tour guide was well informed, fruendly too.
This tour was amazing!
Both Alcatraz and Muir Woods were wonderful....however we did not have enough time to do both of these properly......next time I will book them individually but we did not have enough days to do that.
Sausalito was gorgeous also....I want to go there as soon as possible and spend more time.
We were forgotten at the pick up point and had to call several time to get picked up, otherwise it was very enjoyable. A little un-organized but we sure took in lots of information.
Fantastic trip! Loved all the locations. My husband and I had a great time. The drivers were very professional and friendly.
Fabulous tour. Igor was a great guide. Learnt msny interesting things about San Francisco along the way.
Very well organized. Our driver Chabli was great. We feel we learned much about San Francisco that day. Alcatraz was interesting and the audio tour was very good.
Kabush was hilarious!!! He provided entertainment, great commentary on the history of San Francisco, safe driver and provided us with a truly enjoyable trip!!!
Great information about Alcatraz that I never knew, the audio walking tour was excellent, The trip to Muir Woods was so wonderful seeing the redwoods this should be on everyone list. Our bus driver Randy did an excellent job full of information and drove like a pro.
On this tour we were able to see many beautiful sites in 1 day. Make sure to be careful when booking because we thought we were taking a tour inside of Alcatraz when in fact it was a boat ride around Alcatraz Island. It was disappointing because we could not buy a ticket on the spot since they sell out far in advance. We still enjoyed the boat ride nonetheless. The Giant redwoods in Muir Woods was very impressive and fun to walk around the monument. Sausalito is a lovely little town to end the day in. Our guide Randy was informative and humorous. Also, he stopped in a great scenic spot to take pics of the Golden Gate Bridge.