- Combined Alcatraz audio-walking tour and excursion to Muir Woods and Sausalito
- Audio-guided walking tour of the Alcatraz "Cell Block" (if Alcatraz option is selected at time of booking), otherwise, enjoy a 1.5-hour bay cruise around Alcatraz
- Ferry ride to Alcatraz Island
- Exploring the giant redwood sequoia trees at Muir Woods
- Shopping and relaxing at Sausalito, California's prettiest town
- Pick-up and drop-off from central San Francisco hotels
- FREE wireless on board tour vehicle
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
An interesting contrast between the bleak prison and the freeing beauty of the woods. You'll experience a walking audio tour of Alcatraz, a stroll among the awe-inspiring trees of Muir Woods and a short stop in picturesque Sausalito. Three don't-miss attractions all in one day!
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Steve & LorrainePhoto by: Stephen M
United Kingdom, 05 2010
- muir woodsPhoto by: maureen d
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Jennifer J
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Jennifer J
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Rensie P
- Golden Gate BridgePhoto by: Rensie P
- Good guides on tourPhoto by: Francisco Silva
- Arraving to AlacatrazPhoto by: HERNAN B
- une geolePhoto by: majoe1
- les sequoiasPhoto by: majoe1
- secouyas gigantesPhoto by: Myriam M
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Maura M
- AlcatrazPhoto by: PATRICE L
- Pont du Golden GatePhoto by: PATRICE L
- Séquoias géant ...Photo by: PATRICE L
- MUIR WOODSPhoto by: Linda G
- ALCATRAZPhoto by: Linda G
- Muir WoodsPhoto by: Chris M
- Inside a Redwood treePhoto by: Bob
- Redwoods of Muir WoodsPhoto by: Bob
What You Can Expect
When booking this combo Muir Woods and Alcatraz tour from San Francisco, you have two options—an Alcatraz admission ticket, which includes the ferry to and from the island, or a cruise that circles Alcatraz Island, providing up-close views but no access to the prison itself (the cruise option is a good alternative if Alcatraz admission is sold out on your preferred date).
Muir Woods and Sausalito (included with both tour options):
Cross the Golden Gate Bridge and travel north to Muir Woods National Monument for your exploration of the giant coastal redwood trees. This old-growth forest is home to some of the planet’s oldest and tallest trees, which you can admire in all their glory as you walk along shady paths.
Then head to Sausalito, a picturesque small town just north of the Golden Gate Bridge that sits between the Marin Headlands and San Francisco Bay. You have leisure time here to walk along the waterfront, maybe purchase a snack (own expense), or perhaps shop in the galleries and boutiques.
If you select this option when booking, you’ll board the ferry to Alcatraz at Pier 33 on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. Enjoy the scenic ride across San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz Island, and disembark to start your independent tour of this island prison. Put on your provided headset to listen to the award-winning audio tour, “Doing Time,” and learn about notorious criminals like Al Capone who were incarcerated here. Hear about escape attempts from “the Rock,” and listen to commentary from former inmates and staff.
Escape from the Rock cruise:
This 90-minute cruise on the bay takes you underneath the Golden Gate Bridge before circling Alcatraz Island twice, providing plenty of photo ops and time to study the former penitentiary from the water. Listen to spine-tingling stories about escape attempts, and hear about what prison life was like for famous inmates like Machine Gun Kelly. This fascinating cruise includes chilling sound effects and tales about Al Capone, Billy Cook the Killer, Clyde Johnson and more. (This tour option does not include a ticket to Alcatraz itself.)
- The tour schedule for the day depends on the availability for Alcatraz. For example, if Alcatraz is available in the morning, the tour commences at the pier to begin with the Alcatraz portion. If there is no availability for Alcatraz in the morning, upon arrival at Fisherman's Wharf you will commence with Muir Woods and Sausalito and then continue to the pier for Alcatraz in the afternoon, returning at leisure
- The Alcatraz portion usually takes approximately 2 hours to complete, with the audio tour consisting of approximately 45 minutes. You are advised to inquire on your arrival to the island as to what time the next guided tour will begin. There is no restriction on the amount of time you spend on the Island. The ferry boat service departs Alcatraz every 30 minutes and you can disembark at your own leisure
- The Escape from the Rock Cruise departs Fisherman's Wharf at 11:30am, leaving 1 hour after conclusion of the cruise to relax at Fisherman's Wharf before the Muir Woods tour departs at 2:00pm
- The Muir Woods and Sausalito section consists of at least 4 hours in total
- There is a 1 hour and 15 minute stop at Muir Woods. Passengers may choose whether they wish to walk the trail or not. This short, self-guided walk takes approximately 30 minutes
- The stop in Sausalito is 30-45 minutes at leisure
Alcatraz was the best audio tour I've ever experienced. Very well organized. Manny, our tour guide to Muir Woods and Sausalito, was fabulous. Very knowledgable and friendly.
It was wonderful. Our bus driver was good and told about some about things going. The next time I book something, I would like for him to show us around again. Thank you it was a wonderful tour.
Great trip, great bus crew, great views I would recommend this trip for everyone going to San Fran.
A great tour taking in 3 of the key attractions in San Francisco. Our guide Aaron was excellent - knowledgeable, fun and interesting. Everything was well organised for pick ups and changeovers to the different activities. It was a long and full day but well worth it.
What a history lesson you get from visiting Alcatraz prison. I wound near like to be in prison.
Sausalito not long enough, need to be at least 3 hours not 1 hour,
Muir wood again need to be long. . The driver was great.
it was great!
Had a great day touring Muir woods and Alcatraz
The tour was great and our guide and driver Chably was amazing. Would definitely travel with him again. Thanks for a great San Francisco experience. 4 happy Aussies.
The tour was great. Everything went off without a glitch. Especially enjoyed our guide, Manny. He was very informative and attentative to all present. Would recommend this tour but need to book early to get the Alcatraz tour which was wonderful.
Another tour well recommended Antonio our guide went out of his way to show us the scenery