Board an eco-friendly catamaran for a whale-watching excursion off the coast of San Francisco. On this tour, join your knowledgable captain and crew to seek out these marine mammals as they migrate through California's coastal waters. From June to November, look for migrating humpback and blue whales; and keep an eye out for killer, gray and sperm whales from December to May. Enjoy spectacular views of the Golden Gate Bridge, the city skyline and the Farallon Islands along the way. Opt for a 5-hour (weekdays) or 6-hour tour (weekends only.)
- San Francisco Whale Watching Tour from Pier 39
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spot a variety of whales!
- Opt for 5-hour Whale Watching Wildlife Tour on weekdays or upgrade to the 6-hour Farallon Islands Natural History Trip at weekends
- See humpback whales, blue whales or killer whales depending on migration season
- Knowledgeable captain, crew and naturalist aboard to answer questions and identify marine wildlife
- Cruise aboard a fully-equipped, stable catamaran
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
There's nothing quite like seeing a whale breach right before your eyes! This cruise led by a marine biologist guarantees whale sightings as well as terrific views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Stinson Beach and Point Reyes National Seashore. San Francisco Bay waters can be choppy, so prepare yourself!
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Lots of sailors!Photo by: Anonymous
- Hubby & I at the Farallon ...Photo by: Patricia P
USA, 12 2011
- Fluting!Photo by: Carol G
- Great tail shotPhoto by: Steven D
- There she blows!Photo by: Steven D
- There she blows!Photo by: John J
United Kingdom, 05 2015
- There she blowsPhoto by: John J
United Kingdom, 05 2015
- Informative and entertaining ...Photo by: John J
United Kingdom, 05 2015
- Our guidePhoto by: Anne B
- Humpback whalePhoto by: Anne B
- Golden Gate bridgePhoto by: Anne B
- Our boatPhoto by: Anne B
- Whale watchingPhoto by: Anne B
- There she blows!Photo by: Stephen C
- AlbatrossPhoto by: Kristina K
- BirdPhoto by: Kristina K
- Humpback WhalePhoto by: Kristina K
- Our first whalePhoto by: Kristina K
- Sea LionhsPhoto by: Kristina K
- RetourPhoto by: Gitta K
What You Can Expect
Meet your eco-friendly catamaran and marine biologist guide at Pier 39 to set out on your 5- or 6-hour whale-watching adventure. Board the 65-foot Kitty Kat, the most advanced vessel for wildlife expeditions in San Francisco. Bring a lunch and wear sturdy shoes and plenty of layers. Find a spot on the spacious sun deck or in the heated cabin and settle in to begin your search for blows and tail slaps. Choose from two tour options:
Whale Watching Wildlife Tour (5 hours)
Sail under the Golden Gate Bridge and get out your camera to snap photos of Stinson Beach, Muir Beach, Bolinas and the Point Reyes National Seashore. Watch for sea birds, sea lions, dolphins, porpoises and whales.
Farallon Islands Natural History Tour (6 hours)
Get comfortable on the Kitty Kat for the 27-mile (43-hm) sail to the Farallon Islands. After passing under the Golden Gate Bridge and admiring the scenery of the California coastline, get to work searching for whales. The Gulf of the Farallones is densely populated with plankton, and is a feeding and migrating area for many whale species as well as Great White Sharks.
After your 5- or 6-hour whale watching adventure is over, disembark at Pier 39.
Guaranteed whale sightings or your next trip is free.
Saw 7 whales. Crew was excellent
What a day, our guides had a lot of information about the Bay and the wildlife. We were able to see many birds, sea lions, and porpoise. Unfortunately only 1 whale off in the distance. I would do this trip again.
It was great.
Water was very rough. Whales were spotted but I never saw them because of the dip and rise of the ship. It was difficult to get to the side of the boat where the whale was. Had the seas been calmer I think the trip would have been great.
Teresa United Kingdom
We're able to see numerous whales ... Various types
This tour was amazing. The booking was easy. The meeting location was easily found. Our marine specialist, Heather, was outstanding in her patience, her knowledge, her enthusiasm and her genuine love for preserving the marine world. The captain and crew were so kind and fun! We saw at least 5 whales and a blow bow LOL. The birds were also fun to watch and beautfiful. Thanks for a quality tour!
An excellent trip which includes great views of Alcatraz and The Golden Gate Bridge. Our first sighting was a sea lion ripping into a leopard shark it had just killed! Saw Minke Whales and numerous Humpbacks, had several opportunities to photograph the tail shot.
Thank you to Jason, Gerrard and EJ.
Unable to actually go on this as wife became unwell in days before trip and not well enough to go on the day. However when confirming trip after initially arriving in San Francisco telephone contact friendly and professional in manner. Would definitely look at booking this trip again if returning to area.