- Day trip from San Jose to Arenal Volcano and the Tabacón hot springs
- Shop for locally made wood and leather crafts in the town of Sarchí
- Enjoy views of Arenal while you eat lunch in La Fortuna
- Look for lava, take photos of the volcano and admire Lake Arenal at Arenal 1968
- Try out all the thermal pools, from warm to hot to really hot, at Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort
- Lunch and dinner included
- Small-group tour limited to 20 people
What You Can Expect
On arrival in La Fortuna, head to a local restaurant for a typical Costa Rican lunch of rice, beans, chicken or steak, and plantains, accompanied by a great view of Arenal. Then, continue your tour about 20 minutes down the road to Mirador Arenal 1968, a trail system on the edge of Arenal Volcano National Park (Parque Nacional Volcán Arenal) named for the 1968 eruption. Walk along the paths to find the best photo spots of the volcano and Lake Arenal (Lago Arenal), and watch for glimpses of bright orange lava flowing down the volcano.
Finally, head a few miles back toward La Fortuna to the Tabacón hot springs — officially Tabacón Grand Spa Thermal Resort — one of Costa Rica’s biggest and most luxurious hot springs resorts. Enjoy roughly 3.5 hours here to soak in the various pools, which range in temperature from 77 to 102°F (25 to 38°C).
The resort is beautifully landscaped with waterfalls and lush vegetation and offers many ways to relax, from secluded pools to a swim-up bar (drinks at your own expense), so sit back and enjoy it until dinner is served. The resort’s buffet dinner lasts about 30 minutes and offers a selection of Costa Rican cuisine, similar to lunch.
After dinner, head back to your hotel in San Jose (about 2.5 hours), where your tour ends.