- Smelt ice fishing on the Barato River of Hokkaido
- Spend a winter morning or afternoon fishing for smelt on the frozen river
- Follow a guide’s instructions while dropping a fishing line into a hole in the ice
- See fresh fish transformed into a delicious tempura snack
- Enjoy a Japanese-style lunch at a local restaurant (if morning option selected)
- Snow pants and snow boots available upon request
- Coach or taxi transport from Sapporo with optional drop-off at an onsen
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Two hours of ice fishing (and tempura tasting) on the frozen river makes your winter holiday a truly unforgettable one in Sapporo.
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Great tour guides, very patient and enthusiastic, they would not rest without helping everyone catch at least one smelt, very fun activity for all ages, i would definitely recommend!
This was a heck of a lot of fun while aimed at a more Japanese audience the guide was very helpful in explaining what was going on in English after the main group. The fisherman that where doing the demonstrations where very helpful and enthusiastic. And the day was interesting and fun. I recommend this to everyone as an experience to try. One recommendation bring an extra pair of socks or maybe two or three..... that ice is cold.
Great experience. Friendly tour guide.
it was really cold but fun if you catch any. us and our friends only ended up catching 5 fishes out of 8 people during 1.5hrs duration. so we all got bored after all. the restaurant where you change into geard also provide very basic meal. dont use downstairs toilet very smelly. overall ok.