- Chinese dumpling culinary tour and cooking class in Shanghai
- Taste a variety of dumplings at Shanghai's street-side stalls and family-owned spots
- Learn to make shengjianbao from scratch under the guidance of an expert chef
- Sample your own creations before another tasting stop — enough to fill you up for lunch!
- Venture into the wet market with your guide to see how the locals shop
- Small-group class with a maximum of 10 people ensures a personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Stop by street stalls and casual local eateries to watch the experts cook the fresh dumplings that you get to try. Depending on what’s available, your eight samples may include typical guotie (deep-fried dumplings); jianbing (pancakes); jiaozi (northern-style dumplings); qian li xiang (wontons); and Shanghai's renowned xiaolongbao (steamed soup dumplings). Along the way, your guide talks about the differences in taste, texture and cooking techniques of China’s bite-size snacks.
It's food for thought as you continue on a short walk to the venue where your 1-hour cooking class takes place. During your lesson, a local chef introduces you to shengjianbao, another Shanghai classic. Following a demo, try your hand at making these pan-fried buns. Start by creating the dough that makes the dumpling wrapper. After rolling out the sticky shells, you'll blend minced pork with other ingredients such as gelatin-based soup stock, soy sauce, green onion and ginger. Then it's time to put it all together and arrange the buns in a frying pan. Throughout the steps, you gain valuable tips from your master instructor.
Fantastic! Great day of dumpling tasting on the streets, then fun with Chef Michael learning to make the delicious fare. Guides were GREAT
A very different and fascinating tour with expert guides who were very knowledgeable about Shnaghai in general as well as the focus of the tour - dumpling tasting and cooking. The tour incuds visits to 5 different dumpling shops as well as a cooking class with a master dumpling chef - a difficult art to learn quickly but amazin to wiach how its done by an expert. There was also a visit to a wet market to see the variety of local produce available. The handouts, including receipes, are also very useful. Would certainly recommend this tour to foodies.