- 2-hour walking tour of the Shanghai's nongtangs - historic backstreets and alleyways
- Explore the old lanes and districts of the city for an authentic, exclusive Shanghai experience
- Visit the home of long-time local residents and hear their interesting stories
- Discover small, hidden markets and stores owned by locals
- Expert and knowledgeable local guide ensures an informative and entertaining tour
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures a personalized experience
Recent Photos of This Tour
- DSC02539Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC05203Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC05199Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC05192Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC05186Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC05185Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC03570Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC03561Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC03560Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02552Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02545Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02543Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02529Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02517Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02507Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02472Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02464Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02460Photo by: Anonymous
- DSC02458Photo by: Anonymous
What You Can Expect
As you meander through the nongtangs with your experienced guide, listen to fascinating anecdotes that reveal the cultural norms in the nongtangs. Your guide also introduces you to some of the local elderly residents who welcome your into their homes to socialize and learn about their daily life and their past. History comes alive when you hear their stories, and you can learn how the changes in modern Shanghai have affected their lifestyle.
Small food markets operate along the alleyways, often owned by local residents who supply their neighborhood with fresh produce and other goods. Your guide takes you to some of these tucked-away shops and wet markets where you can meet the owners and learn about their livelihoods. You can also purchase some local delicacies such as tea eggs, which are hard boiled eggs cooked in tea and a marinade sauce. Sampling street food makes perfect complement to this unforgettable experience of authentic Shanghai.
We loved this tour and Mary, our guide. She was excellent and did a great job of just giving us a great look at life in one of the older areas of Shanghai. We slowly strolled through some commercial and residential areas, she guided us through some of the shops, did local things like stopping to pick up a bag of local candy, etc.
We loved this tour and Mary, our guide. She was excellent--very well prepared, very familiar with the area we toured, and a very friendly and charming personality. This is a very interesting view of every day life in Shanghai.
The tour was excellent and very informative we enjoyed it very much.
Would highly recommend your company to friends and family
Our tour guide, Zoe, was great! I've spent a lot of time in Shanghai on business and even took time to 'tour' during previous visits. BUT, this was the first tour where I felt I learned, in detail, about how those who live and work in Shanghai actually live. We walked the communities different income levels, visited a realtor to learn about prices/space/location for apartments and homes, visited a variety of food stores to learn about the different types of food locals eat, learned about eastern medicine herbs and other sources for healing and health and even learned about how different people come to live in Shanghai school, work, government-incentives. Zoe not only explained everything that we were seeing, she was also able to answer any questions we presented. I took two 17 year olds on this tour with me and Zoe kept their attention. If you can request a tour guide for the morning tour, request Zoe!
excellent tour we loved every thing about it, our guide Zoe was the best she explained everything so clear.
loved it so much and would use your company again if we come to Shanghai again.
Excellent tour from start to finish. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing and hearing about the lives of the Shanghai residents. Tour guides pitched it right and kept me and my husband enthralled. It's a must to get off the tourist route and experience the real city.
A personal tour around the alleyways with someone who has lived there, very informative although we felt intrusive to the people who lived there at times
A really great opportunity to see part of Shanghai life that isn't usually accessible.Janny is an excellent guide.
Robert M USA
Of all the tours we took this really explained the life and living conditions of the local people. We were right in the lanes and alleyways talking to the local residents. We did not want the tour to end. Don'T miss this tour.