- Tour of the Shanghai Museum of Textile and Costume with an expert local guide
- Gain a deeper insight into China's culture and heritage through the textile industry and fashion
- Enjoy interactive displays of ancient textile technologies and production methods
- Browse silk, velvet and embroidery, and discover how styles and types of clothing have changed over the centuries
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures a personalized experience
Explore the gallery showcasing Chinese fabrics and replicas of machines used in the nation's textile industry in ancient times. As you browse the more than 250 items on display, including replicas of items from as early as 221 BC, learn about China’s long-time tradition of textiles and costume production.
Browse textiles such as embroidery, satin, velvet, silk and linen, all in different patterns from different eras in Chinese history. Most of the pieces were found in Xinjiang, Tibet and some inland areas along the Yellow River, once the center of ancient Chinese civilization.
Discover how styles and types of clothing have changed over the centuries, and browse robes, jackets, capes, aprons, small bags, ribbons and tapestries. You'll also learn different weaving techniques, see the technologies used in production and see tie-dyed and wax-painted materials produced by Chinese ethnic minorities.