- Small-group walking tour of Shanghai's Jewish Ghetto
- See hidden areas of the city through the eyes of a Shanghai local
- Gain an understanding of the lives of Jewish refugees on a visit to the Jewish Refugees Museum (Ohel Moishe Synagogue)
- Hear enlightening stories about Jewish history in Shanghai while walking past the Joint Distribution Committee and Huoshan Park
- Visit a local neighborhood and discover daily life in the Jewish Ghetto
- On a visit to Xiahai Temple, known as the fish man's temple in the past, discover the role a Buddhist temple plays within the Jewish Ghetto
- Small-group tour limited to 10 people ensures a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Walking around the area of Hongkou is so interesting because of it's history in relation to Jewish refugees and because it gives you an insight into life in the suburbs in Shanghai today. Prior to meeting our tour guide, Annie, we had some time to spare so we wandered around the area a little by ourselves. The people of the area are friendly and didn't seem to mind us stopping and watching them go about their daily lives. When we met Annie, we knew we had hit the jackpot! Annie is everything you want in a tour guide. She was knowledgeable about the area and it's history, interested in us as her clients and willing to fit in with what things we were interested in seeing.
We loved the Jewish architecture of Hongkou, the beautiful park Annie took us to and the Jewish heritage Museum. Annie also took us to a temple and explained many aspects of the Buddhist faith while we were walking through it.
The professionalism of the company who runs the tour was also to be applauded. When i contacted their office in Shanghai the day before the tour, they forwarded to me by e-mail, detailed directions to get to the meeting place and even called Annie at the end of the tour to speak with us and find out our thoughts. I would highly recommend this tour. It demonstrates a side of Shanghai and it's people that I don't think many people are aware of.
Annie was our guide for this tour. She gave us explicit directions as to where to meet her, She was prompt and provided a great tour of the area.Her english is excellent and the information helped us to see the ghetto, its history, different ethnic groups from Iraq, Iran, Russia and others who were provided asylum during very dark periods in history. She is very knowledgeable and took us not only to the complex which houses the Jewish history in Shanghai, but the old synagogoue and was even able to bring us into homes where they lived. I would highly recommend this tour! rj freeman, salem, ma