- 3-hour Segway tour of Catania with an expert local guide
- Explore Catania’s UNESCO-listed historical center, seeing Baroque palaces and Roman ruins
- Stop for photos in Piazza Duomo and see the Fountain of the Elephant, carved from volcanic rock
- Glide along Via Etnea, Catania’s vibrant main street, before exploring the park of Villa Bellini
- Listen to tales of Catania’s medieval history on a stop outside 13th-century Castle Ursino
What You Can Expect
Glide along to Piazza Duomo in the very heart of the city and marvel at its Baroque palazzi as your guide explains the grandiose monuments that are scattered around. Pose for photos in front of the Fountain of the Elephant -- carved in Catania’s trademark black volcanic stone – and see the imposing City Hall.
Work your way along Via Etnea, the bustling main street named after the town’s nemesis – the brooding Mount Etna – and visit Piazza Stesicoro to see the remains of the wealthy Roman town that Catania once was. Admire the ruins of the Roman amphitheater – a site that once held crowds of 16,000 – and see the monument to Vincenzo Bellini – the famous opera composer from Catania.
Continue down Via Etnea and cross into Villa Bellini, the public park, to start winding your way up the leafy paths to the highest part of town at Piazza Dante. Stop to soak up the views over the city from outside San Nicola Church and admire the exterior of the Benedictine monastery.
Start to work your way back to the start point, passing along Via Crociferi – a film location for many Italian films – and pass beneath the arch of San Benedetto to visit Piazza Federico di Svevia and its showpiece – the lovely 13th-century Castle Ursino.
After three hours of exploring the city streets, finish your tour back at Villa Pacini.