- Sightseeing on a three-hour flight by seaplane to Glacier Bay, from Sitka
- See the Juneau Icefield, Baranof Island and Chicagof Island as you fly over Alaska’s Pacific coast
- Talk with your expert pilot by headset during the flight and learn about the landscape below
- Marvel at the birds-eye views of fjords, rivers and massive glaciers around Glacier Bay, a World Heritage-listed site
- Set foot in the backcountry of Glacier Bay National Park when you land at Bartlett Cove
- Round-trip transportation included
- Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship
What You Can Expect
To reach Glacier Bay by seaplane from Sitka takes about one hour, with amazing landscape in all directions. You’ll fly north over Chicagof Island, which is the fifth largest island in the USA and the 109th largest island in the world! It also has one of the highest populations of bears per square mile of any place on earth. After soaring over Chicagof, you’ll see the expansive terrain of the Juneau Icefield.
Keep your eyes peeled for whale spouts and other wildlife sightings as you travel. Be sure to bring a pair of binoculars to help you see the action on the ground!
Arriving at Glacier Bay, you’ll spot the peak of Mount Fairweather, one of the world's highest coastal mountains, rising to 15,325 feet (4,671m). Admire the birds-eye view of the massive glaciers, deep fjords, rugged coastline, and freshwater lakes and rivers around Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay National Park is part of a 25-million acre UNESCO World Heritage-listed wilderness, one of the world’s largest protected areas.
On the return trip to Sitka, you’ll get the thrill of a water landing on a remote mountain lake as your pilot expertly glides into Bartlett Cove. You’ll have a brief stop to take photos and pop into the national park visitor’s center.
At the end of your journey, you’ll be returned to Sitka’s port where you can rejoin your ship.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:
We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Skagway for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.