- 4-hour tour of Herculaneum Archeological Site from Sorrento with an expert guide
- Stroll through the well-preserved streets of the ancient Roman town of Herculaneum
- Visit some of the most important sites of the UNESCO-listed site including the public baths and gymnasium
- Learn about the volcanic eruption that buried Herculaneum, Pompeii and other nearby areas
- Enjoy round-trip transport by air-conditioned coach from your hotel to the site
What You Can Expect
Enjoy your scenic journey through the terracotta towns and along the coastline. Arriving in Herculaneum after roughly an hour, marvel as you approach the statuesque whitewashed plaster– and red-brick archway that serves as the site's entrance.
An ancient Roman town set in the shadow of Mt Vesuvius, Herculaneum was submerged under a torrent of lava and mud in 79 AD when the volcano violently erupted. Unlike the unfortunate souls who perished in Pompeii, it was originally believed that the town’s inhabitants were able to flee successfully. However, a few decades ago, some 300 skeletons were discovered by the coastline, buried under layers of mud.
As you stroll through the well preserved streets with your guide, pass historical buildings with clay pots and other artifacts still stored inside, as they would have been before Mt Vesuvius flooded the town with lava some 2,000 years ago. Visit the most important sites of the UNESCO-listed Herculaneum Archeological Site, from the gymnasium to the well-preserved murals and mosaics at the public baths, and listen as your guide brings the ancient history of the area to life with interesting facts and tales from millennia ago.
After exploring the Herculaneum Archeological Site, your tour concludes back at your Sorrento hotel in the afternoon.