- St Kitts sightseeing tour from Basseterre
- See Basseterre’s historical attractions like Independence Square
- Enjoy a drive up the west coast, stopping at landmarks like Bloody Point and indigenous petroglyphs
- Tour the house and gardens of Clay Villa, an 18th-century plantation
- Visit the Caribelle Batik workshop at Romney Manor, an old sugar estate
- Marvel at the incredible views of the Caribbean and Atlantic coasts at the Timothy Hill viewpoint
What You Can Expect
Then head along St Kitts’ west coast to Clay Villa Plantation House and Gardens, a 10-acre (4-hectare) property that dates back to 1763 and is the only plantation on the island that never profited from slavery. Follow your guide through the lush gardens, learning about the native vegetation and traditional bush remedies, and watching for animals like vervet monkeys, tropical birds, turtles and fish. Then enter the plantation house for a tour of its period furniture and historical artifacts.
After your tour of the house, enjoy a complimentary drink and browse the gift shop for souvenirs, if you wish. Then hop back in your tour vehicle and continue west to a few landmarks: Bloody Point, where more than 2,000 Kalingo (also known as Caribs, an indigenous Caribbean culture) were massacred in 1626 by the British and French; the village of Old Road, one of the first European settlements in the Leeward Islands; and the site of some Carib petroglyphs.
Reach Romney Manor, a 17th-century sugar plantation that was once owned by Sam Jefferson, the great-great-great-grandfather of Thomas Jefferson. Today it houses Caribelle Batik, a boutique and workshop where you can watch colorful batik fabric being made and purchase pretty souvenirs like wraps and dresses. Or, take a walk through the gardens.
Finally, head to your last stop, the Timothy Hill lookout point. This prime location on the narrow stretch of land near the southern tip of St Kitts boasts panoramic views of both the Caribbean and Atlantic coasts of the island. You’ll definitely be finishing your tour on a high note!
Your tour ends with your return ride to the cruise port in Basseterre.