- St Kitts sightseeing tour and rum tasting
- See Basseterre’s top landmarks like Independence Square and the Memorial Clock
- Visit Wingfield Estate, a 17th-century rum distillery and sugar mill
- Tour Clay Villa Plantation House and Gardens
- Enjoy a glass of rum punch and a tasting of three different St Kitts rums
- Learn about the island's rum and sugar cane industries from a local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off included
What You Can Expect
Then head to Wingfield Estate, a former sugar mill and rum distillery. With its proximity to the Wingfield River, Wingfield was one of the only factories on St Kitts to use water as a power source; with your guide, explore the estate and check out the old aqueduct. Learn about the estate’s history, which dates back to the 17th century, making it one of the Caribbean’s oldest distilleries.
Next, continue your tour to Clay Villa Plantation House and Gardens, about 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Basseterre. This 10-acre (4-hectare) property dates back to 1763 and is the only plantation on the island that never profited from slavery. Take a tour with your guide through the verdant gardens, admiring the organic fruit and learning about the native vegetation and traditional bush remedies. Keep an eye out for wildlife like vervet monkeys, turtles, fish and tropical birds. Then enter the plantation house — still a family home — for a tour of its period furniture and historical artifacts.
After your tour of the house, enjoy a refreshing glass of rum punch or fruit punch, and then sit down for a rum tasting. Sample three St Kitts rums, learning about their backgrounds and different flavors from a knowledgeable tasting guide. Then head back to Basseterre, passing by the old St Kitts Sugar Factory and the rum-blending and bottling plant at Bird Rock, where rums like CSR, Brinley’s and Belmont Estate are produced.
Your tour ends with a return ride to your hotel.