- 3-hour St Petersburg walking tour of Russian art and architecture
- Learn about the assassination of Tsar Alexander II and visit the extravagant cathedral that was built to commemorate him – the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood
- Tour the Russian Museum and explore its main building, Mikhailovsky Palace, with your guide
- See vast collections of Russian art that date back to the 10th century
- Small-group tour with a maximum of six people ensure a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Walking at a leisurely pace, stride down the elegant streets of the city as your guide regales you with tales about its history, culture and unique artistic and architectural heritage.
Stop first outside the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood – an incredibly ornate church topped with a flurry of multi-colored, onion-shaped domes — and learn how this extravagant edifice contrasts greatly with St Petersburg’s otherwise restrained architecture.
Hear how the church took its design cue from St Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow, and after snapping photos of the façade, explore the astonishing interior with your guide.
Following a spell of neglect, the inside of the cathedral took longer to restore than it did to actually build. Inspect the intricate detailing to understand why the meticulous restoration took so long, and note the tiny mosaics on the walls and the richly gilded marble floors.
As you walk around, hear about Tsar Alexander II who was assassinated on the site of the cathedral in 1881, and view the canopy that marks the exact place of his murder.
Next, continue to another of St Petersburg’s cultural showpieces — the incredible Russian Museum that’s home to a stunning collection of more than 400,000 pieces of art dating back to the 10th century.
Go inside with your guide and enjoy a tour of the main building, the Mikhailovsky Palace. Walk through the beautiful halls and admire a captivating cross-section of art of almost every type and era, including paintings and sculptures, and striking Russian avant-garde works.
Katherine J USA
The Church of the Spilled Blood is amazing. I was very glad I took this tour. I was on another tour which only included St. Basil's - which is also very nice to see but of the two I would rate the Spilled Blood as a must see.
It was an Ok tour. The guide wasn't very enthusiastic.