- Full-day trip from Sydney to Canberra
- Visit the historic township of Berrima in the Southern Highlands for morning tea (own expense)
- Get panoramic views of Canberra from the summit of Mt Ainslie
- Take a guided tour of the Australian War Memorial and hear the history of ANZAC troops
- Follow your guide on an illuminating tour of either the National Gallery of Australia or National Portrait Gallery
- Take a private tour of the billion-dollar Parliament House, which has 4,700 rooms and many parts open to the public
- See The Lodge, Captain Cook Memorial Fountain, National Library, National Carillon and High Court of Australia
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
You see the sweep of Canberra from Mt Ainslie as you arrive, then delve into Australia's history, culture and politics with guided tours of the nation's major institutions. The Australian War Memorial features a deeply moving museum and incredible views down ANZAC Parade to Parliament House.
What You Can Expect
Halfway through the 3-hour drive, enjoy a stop in the Southern Highlands at the historic town of Berrima. Purchase morning tea, stretch your legs and take in 19th-century Georgian sandstone buildings and shops.
Continuing on, your coach climbs to the summit of Mt Ainslie where you get panoramic views over Canberra. Look for the large red-brick boulevard named ANZAC Parade, in honor of ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) troops. It forms the main axis between Parliament House and Mount Ainslie.
As you drive through central Canberra, your guide points out important civic monuments such as National Library of Australia, National Carillon bell tower, the High Court of Australia and the Captain Cook Memorial Jet (fountain).
Your day trip includes guided tours of the Australian War Memorial, and either the National Museum of Australia or the National Portrait Gallery, depending on current exhibits. Your guide provides fascinating insight into each museum, which present top-notch exhibits that explore Australian culture and history.
You also get a private guided tour of the stunning Parliament House, which reopened in 1988 after extensive renovations. The innovative buildings include rooftop gardens with 360-degree views of the city. Later, drive past The Lodge, which is the official residence of the Prime Minister. As Australia’s political and administrative center, Canberra houses various foreign embassies and other key national institutions.
After taking in the many highlights of Canberra, head back to Sydney in the late afternoon, with a stop en route where you can purchase dinner. Your tour ends in the evening when you are returned to your hotel.
02 tour guildes, especially Mrs. Barbara are very informative and helpful.
The tour was informative, interesting, and amazing! Julian, our driver, was very informative. driving was very good too and good time management. Barbara, our guide was very knowledgeable, passionate and informative. She definitely knows Canberra very well. i would highly recommend this tour!!