- A 2-hour in-depth and behind the scenes tour of Taronga Zoo
- Ride the Sky Safari gondola for amazing aerial views of the zoo and the harbor
- Be photographed with the koalas in their enclosure
- Visit a working zoo kitchen and see how the food is prepared
- Hand-feed kangaroos and wallabies
- Go behind-the-scenes in the Australian Nocturnal House
- All-day access to explore Taronga Zoo before and after your tour
- Morning or afternoon tea with scones
- Small-group tour maximum 8 participants
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
The zookeeper guide and small group make it easy to get to know some of Australia's many distinctive animals, including koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and platypuses.
Recent Photos of This Tour
- Koalas at the ZooPhoto by: David V
- Taronga Zoo, SydneyPhoto by: tacjam
- Taronga Zoo - Giraffes and ...Photo by: Christine C
- Petting a bilby.Photo by: Bill604
- Up Close with a Koala.Photo by: Bill604
- glider mousePhoto by: Stephanie D
- Hand feeding a wallabyPhoto by: Stephanie D
- Koala Bear!Photo by: JoAnn S
- at the zooPhoto by: Fred K
- Meeting a wallaby for the ...Photo by: Heidi P
- Best Zoo trip everPhoto by: Tracie Ann W
- Zoo Tour In SydneyPhoto by: MARILEE B
- RoosPhoto by: Maura H
- OwlPhoto by: Maura H
- BilbyPhoto by: Maura H
- KoalaPhoto by: Maura H
- EchidnaPhoto by: Maura H
- Behind the scenesPhoto by: Doris H
- Hand feeding time!Photo by: Caesarqueen
- Must be nap time for the ...Photo by: Ann S
USA, 05 2014
What You Can Expect
During your tour, you get to meet a number of animals and take a peek into the inner workings of the zoo. Stop at a zoo kitchen and learn how the staff prepares meals for the critters’ various diets. Follow your guide into the restricted area at the Australian Nightlife exhibit to observe nocturnal creatures that are difficult to spot in the wild. Then hand-feed kangaroos, wallabies and emus; pose for photos with koalas inside their enclosure; and learn about wildlife habitat and conservation projects from your expert guide. Discover the iconic creatures of the Australia, including echidnas, platypus, wombats and bilbies as you explore the zoo on this fascinating tour.
After your tour, enjoy complimentary light refreshments at the zoo’s Harbourview Cafe, which boasts spectacular views over Sydney Harbour Bridge and beyond. You’ll also receive a souvenir gift and have the rest of the day to explore Taronga Zoo at your leisure.
The easiest way to get to the zoo is by ferry. Not only is it convenient but a great way to see the spectacular Sydney Harbour. Ferries depart from Wharf 2 at Circular Quay every 30 minutes.
Once you have arrived at Taronga Wharf, take the Sky Safari gondola for a ride high over the zoo grounds. over looking Sydney's most famous landmarks and giving you a bird's-eye view over the zoo inhabitants, ending at the top entrance of the zoo. Alternatively you can take the zoo bus service that meets every ferry.
Restaurant and fast food outlets
Taronga Food Market - open 9.00am - 5.00pm
Located near the elephant enclosure with indoor and outdoor seating offering 6 different food and beverage outlets
Cafe Harbourview - open 10.00am - 4.00pm
Cafe style menu featuring Mediterranean platters, salads, hot food and delicious cakes
Fish and Chips Takeaway - open 11.00am - 2.00pm
Offers your favourite seafood treats, salt'n'pepper squid, calamari, garlic prawns and fish and chips
Terrace Cafe - open 9.00am - 5.00pm
Located inside the main entrance and offers a range of sandwiches, wraps, pastries, coffee and drinks
Taronga Zoo also has many picnic areas, so bring a picnic basket and enjoy lunch with views overlooking Sydney Harbour
Great experience! :
The Australia experience made the Zoo trip for us. The behind the scenes looks into how the zoo works and closer contact with some animals was the best part.
The behind the scenes actually, behind the cages part of the tour was wonderful. The keepers train the animals to respond to visitors, but never force them to do so. They are allowed to familiarize themselves at their own pace. The Bilbies sp? were especially adorable in this regard.
Only disappointing part of tour was that the Sky Safari was closed for maintenance.
The round trip ferry ride from the Circular Quay to Taronga was also a good deal with views of the bridge and Opera House.
Enjoyed the behind the scenes tour and the guide was the best we've encountered. The hands on was very enjoyable.
It was an amazing experience. The zoo keeper we toured the Australian section of the zoo and behind the scenes was very knowledgeable , friendly, and allowed us for much interaction with the animals. The zoo itself is beautifully designed, easy to navigate, with wonderful, innovative, and educational shows. The views of Sydney are stunning
David K USA
Wonderful and informative! The tour guide was friendly, energetic and knowledgable. Would definitely recommend!
Paul was the best zookeeper/guide I have ever met, giving our whole group a very amazing and unforgettable experience. 3
This was an amazing tour! You really do get a behind the scenes look at the beautiful Taronga Zoo. This is a must for anyone visiting the Zoo. One of my favorite things in Sydney!
Do not miss this.
What a great way to see the marsupials - up close and personal.