- Day trip to the East Algarve including the towns of Almancil, Faro, Olhão and Tavira
- Visit the Church of St Lourenço in Almancil and admire its traditional blue-and-white wall tiles
- Explore Faro Old Town on a walking tour and see the stately looking Arc da Vila
- Enjoy free time in the fishing town of Olhão, known for its distinctive cube-shaped houses
- Pay a visit to Tavira Castle and pose for photos against its ramparts and ruins
- Make use of a hotel pickup and drop-off service that covers the Algarve region
What You Can Expect
Next, drive to the capital of the Algarve, Faro. Hop out of the car and stroll through its charming Old Town. Wind along beautiful cobblestone roads until you reach Arc da Vila. Hear how this medieval monument was erected as the gateway to Old Town subsequent to the disastrous Lisbon earthquake of 1755. Then, leisurely explore this town on your own and peak into shops for treats and souvenirs.
Your east Algarve day trip then moves to the neighboring town of Olhão known for the largest fishing port in the Algarve. Venture through and see Olhão’s Moorish-style houses and learn about its commercial links with Africa. After a brief walk with your guide grab a bite to eat for lunch (own expense). Feel free to request restaurant recommendations, your guide is happy to help.
Continue to your fourth and final stop the ancient town of Tavira. Relish the town’s impressive Renaissance churches and Roman bridges that border the River Gilão leading to its nickname the “Venice of the Algarve.” Then, stroll to Tavira Castle and see this partially ruined fortress thought to have been built during the days of the Neoliths. Enter this alluring monument (own expense) full of ramparts and ruins and capture wonderful views over the surrounding park and town.
Finally, head back to your Algarve hotel where your trip ends in the late afternoon.
Despite a cool and windy day the scenery, commentary and facilitation was very good. Only downside was having the same information given in four languages.
it was a great tour but we never got to Almancil to see the church and I was disappointed about that.
Nothing interesting,wery boring tour...and go to Spain was waisting time.
Horrible tour and horrible guide. Celia should resign - she spent whole day talking to the driver and didn't provide any, any info. Three hours to collect the guests! Unbearable day!