- 5-hour excursion to Lagos and Sagres from the Algarve, led by a local guide
- Pay a visit to Antonine Museum inside the Church of St Anthony to see Lagos artifacts that date from Roman days
- See the Statue of Prince Henry the Navigator and learn of Lagos’ links to the Age of Discoveries
- Visit viewpoints of Ponta de Piedade and Cape St Vincent with their dramatic Atlantic Ocean views
- Explore the charming fishing village of Sagres on Europe’s southwesternmost tip
- Make use of a hotel pickup and drop-off service that covers the Algarve region
What You Can Expect
Pay a visit to Antonine Museum, an exhibition space enclosed within an 18th-century church, to see a range of artifacts found in the local area, some of which date to Roman times. After exploring the exhibits, continue to the site of the first European black slave trade back in the 15th century, when Lagos went on to become an insipid hub for slave trading.
Stop for photos by the Statue of Prince Henry the Navigator, and hear how it was erected in honor of the town’s intrepid explorer who left Lagos in 1415 for the Moroccan city of Ceuta — an event that kick-started the Age of Discoveries.
After a break for lunch (own expense), return to your coach, and travel south to Ponta da Piedade to drink in dramatic views from the sandstone headland. Have your camera ready to capture incredible Atlantic Ocean vistas; on a clear day you can see as far west as Sagres, a village sat on Portugal’s tip that is the next stop on your tour.
Travel west and then stretch your legs on a walking tour around the laid-back little village. Admire its pretty fishing harbor and village center, and then travel to Cape St Vincent, the vantage point that marks Europe’s southwesternmost point. Then, start your journey back to the Algarve region, and finish your half-day trip with a drop-off at your hotel.
Wonderful day. And lovely scenery. Would definitely recommend. Thank you so much!!
Tour guide was very rude and unwelcoming ! Most of the trip was spent picking us all up and dropping everyone off again . Very little time in any of the places. Would not recommend this trip to anyone. Waste of everyones time and money !