- Day trip from John O’Groats to the Orkney Islands
- Cross the Churchill Barriers
- Ferry boat ride across Pentland Firth
- Watch for seals and whales
- Visit the villages of Storminess and Skara Brae
What You Can Expect
Island hop across the Churchill Barriers which thread together five islands to form the Eastern boundary of Scapa Flow. Visit the capital town, Kirkwall, home to the magnificent Viking cathedral of St Magnus, and the lovely little village of Storminess, last port of call for sailing ships on their way to the Americas. Then step back 3,000 years as you enter the Neolithic village of Skara Brae. This Village was hidden under sand dunes, perfectly preserved, until uncovered 150 years ago during a winter storm.
On your way back to the ferry in the evening there will be a stop at the Italian Chapel. Beautifully constructed inside two "nissen" huts using only basic raw materials, the beauty of the Chapel must be seen to be appreciated.