- 2.5-hour cicchetti and wine tour around Venice’s Jewish Ghetto
- Hear stories about the Jewish Ghetto’s history from a knowledgeable local guide
- See an open-air market, a mask-making workshop, synagogues and shops
- Visit three atmospheric bàcari and learn about the Venetian wine and cicchetti tradition
- Savor a total of three glasses of wine plus enough cicchetti for a light meal
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 12 people ensures a personalized experience
What You Can Expect
Hear how the Jewish Ghetto was the first of its kind in the world, and how it served as the inspiration for William Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice, as you amble along its pretty streets. While the Jewish population in the ghetto reached a peak of 4,000 inhabitants by the mid-17th century, today Venice is home to around 500 Jews who live all over the city. The quarter still thrives as a spiritual and cultural center for Venice's Jewish community; synagogues and kosher restaurants are just a few of the sights seen, as well as a traditional open-air market, mask-making workshop and bustling independent shops.
Inside each bar, enjoy a glass of ombra (Venetian slang for local wine) as well as plates of cicchetti — the tasty Venetian appetizers that are served all over the city. The dishes vary, but you can expert tantalizing offerings such as expertly seasoned meatballs, creamy cod mousse or colorful bruschetta. As you nibble on the tasty treats, hear insights from your guide about the local wine and learn about daily life in Venice.
Your tour finishes near Campo della Maddalena, leaving you ideally placed to return to the center independently or continue your night of eating and drinking in the area at your own expense.
This was great fun and the appropriate thing to do on a Saturday night in Venice. Emanuella was a fantastic host and we enjoyed the Ghetto tour as well as quafing wine and cicchetti in three very interesting bacari.
This was a well organised fun tour. A good group, lots of conversation and pretty tasty food. Emmanuelle was a super guide with a lovely manner.