- 1.25-hour guided Doge's Palace tour with skip-the-line entrance ticket
- Tour the beautiful public rooms and see Renaissance artwork by Tintoretto and Veronese
- Learn about the doges of Venice, who ruled the city for a thousand years
- Enjoy exclusive access to the Piombi attic prison, where Casanova was once held
- Walk across the Bridge of Sighs to explore the New Prisons
Recent Photos of This Tour
- 20160421_044930Photo by: Jennifer W
- Room with hidden doorPhoto by: lee
- Magnificent ceiling artPhoto by: lee
- Inside the palace cafeteriaPhoto by: onniv
- Inside the palacePhoto by: onniv
- CourtyardPhoto by: Jeffrey C
- Secret PassagePhoto by: Jeffrey C
- Torture Chamber Doges PalacePhoto by: Jeffrey C
- Tintoretto MasterpiecePhoto by: Jeffrey C
- A prisoner's wordsPhoto by: Art K
- Doge great hallPhoto by: Gary P D
- Doge Palace roomsPhoto by: Gary P D
- a view from the Bridge of ...Photo by: Gary P D
- on the secret tourPhoto by: Gary P D
- Inside the courtyardPhoto by: Gary P D
- Reflections of VenicePhoto by: Nicole D
- Inside outPhoto by: Cheryl P
- Sunrise at the Doge's PalacePhoto by: Cheryl P
- VenicePhoto by: Michelle M
- View from the Bridge Of SighsPhoto by: linda
What You Can Expect
Wander through awe-inspiring public rooms adorned from floor to ceiling with gilded carvings, murals and opulent décor. Your guide will point out Renaissance masterworks by painters Tintoretto and Veronese, including the famous ceiling fresco Juno Bestowing her Gifts on Venice. See the Trial Chambers of the Council of Ten and learn how this room was used to dispatch the fearsome secret service to investigate traitors of the republic.
Ascend to the attic and step inside the secretive chambers of the Piombi prison — a network of cells directly beneath the palace’s lead roof that was generally reserved for upper-class inmates and political prisoners. Let your imagination run wild in this part of the palace that is rarely open to the public, and hear how the legendary Venetian lover Casanova was imprisoned here and later made a daring escape.
absolutely a great tour! Lots of stairs to climb from cellar to roof but fascinating stops to see the prison cells and hear the stories of how Venice was ruled. To be in the rafters and to understand the age of the place through the fascinating tales brought the Palace to life. Our guide was great. So happy we didn'tr miss this one!
This was a great tour of the prisons. Our guide was very informative and I would certainly recommend the tour to others. The cost also got you into the palace in general so you could wander around the rooms after the tour ended.
A most interesting tour of the back-of-house areas and the attics. The guide had excellent English and was most knowledgeable. The tour was conducted in a small group of about 15 people. Following the 'secret' tour we were able to continue and view the magnificent public rooms.
So much fun to see the prison cells, old archive rooms, attic, Casanova's cell, the torture room, and trial rooms in Doge's Palace. The guide was great and very helpful.
excellent and wonderful guide. highly recommended
We definitely enjoyed this tour. The guide was wonderful. She was very knowledgeable and did a great job presenting the information. she spent time answering questions at the end. After the Secret Itineraries tour we were left to see the Palace on our own. This was perfect. I would not miss the Secret Itineraries part, it's very special and well worth the time.
Very informative, learned much about Venice's history and its secularism.
Robert D L USA
This tour was the highlight of our stay in Venice. The behind the scenes areas that were shown to us were rich in history and intrigue. Our guide showed a real knowledge of the palace. The small group size added to the enjoyment.
My husband and I took this tour in 2000. When I returned to Venice this September with my daughter, I encouraged her to do the same. She was as impressed as we had been! The architecture, the art, the history as explained by the knowledgeable guide . . .all contributed to a fascinating morning. Well worth arising early on our first morning in Venice!
Highly recommend this tour. Excellent guide with right amount of information and humor to keep all age groups interested. Guides are easy to locate pre tour. Would use this tour company again. Maureen