- Private wine tasting in Vienna at Bitzinger’s Augustinerkeller
- Enjoy tastings of four different wines – two whites and two reds
- Soak up the historic ambience of the traditional Augustinerkeller, partially located in the vaults of Vienna’s old city wall
- Learn a bit about the wines, including the different grape varieties that go into them like riesling and merlot
- Discover what makes Austria’s wine country a good grape-growing region
What You Can Expect
A traditional Austrian-style restaurant (also known as a heuriger) and wine cellar, the Augustinerkeller dates back to 1884 and is one of the last remaining monastery cellars (a wine cellar once used by monks) in Vienna’s old town; it was turned into a restaurant in 1924 and since 1954 has been run by the Bitzinger family, who works hard to maintain traditional Viennese hospitality. You’ll be in good hands, as the Bitzingers are a well-known Austrian wine family.
This history and tradition makes the Augustinerkeller the perfect place for your private wine tasting! The rich atmosphere is heightened by the fact that the restaurant is located in the vaults built into Vienna’s old defense wall. This remarkable vaulting has been well preserved throughout the centuries and can be admired when you’re inside.
Your tasting, however, takes place in the Augustinerkeller’s vinothek (the German version of an enoteca, or wine-tasting shop), which was designed by renowned Austrian architect Hans Hollein, who created a beautiful space with rustic brick walls complemented by an elegant crystal chandelier. After you are led to your reserved table, enjoy a tasting of four local wines – a white blend, a chardonnay, a pinot noir and a merlot – accompanied by bread with a pepper spread. Your server will give you a description of the wines so you can learn a bit about what you’re drinking.
If wine tasting just isn’t enough, you have the option to stay for a late lunch or dinner (own expense). Just let your server know if you wish to do so, and you can extend your experience with seasonal dishes, more excellent wine and live music.