- 2-hour tour of Vienna’s underground sites
- Tour the centuries-old crypt of St Michael’s Church
- Discover the Roman excavation on Michaelerplatz
- Learn about these historical sites from your experienced guide
- Great tour for history buffs!
- Small-group tour with maximum of 15 people provides a more personalized experience
What You Can Expect
With your guide, head underground to explore the crypt below the church. Created in the 16th and 17th centuries for the burials of nobleman and wealthy Viennese, the crypt held more than 4,000 bodies, and due to the crypt’s ideal constant temperature, these corpses have been well preserved.
Next, follow your guide back above ground to visit the Michaelerplatz archaeological site, an excavation that uncovered a Roman settlement of soldiers’ homes from the Vindobona military camp. Your tour ends here, on the Michaelerplatz, so you’ll be perfectly placed to continue exploring Vienna on your own.
I really enjoyed this tour. Our guide was Christopher and he made it very interesting by providing us with many details regarding the underground tunnels. As expected we did get to see 3 well preserved corpses along with many coffins and bones.
Great tour, just the right size. Guide was fun and very informative.