- Book and save 10% compared to the local supplier's price for travel until November 16, 2014!
Numbers are limited to 15 on this small-group tour, ensuring a more personalized experience.
- Full-day Wachau Valley wine-tasting bike tour including train transport from Vienna
- Enjoy a leisurely bike ride through the stunning UNESCO World Heritage-listed Wachau Valley
- Visit family-run wineries to taste local Austrian wine and regional specialties
- Explore the medieval town of Dürnstein and visit Kuenringer Castle, where King Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned
- Savor lunch, swim in the Danube River and play beach volleyball, if you wish
- Gaze at the stunning Wachau Valley scenery on a short Danube River ferry ride
- Small-group tour limited to 15 people ensures a more personalized experience
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
When you arrive, you’ll be outfitted with a bike and helmet for your leisurely paced 14-mile (23-km) bike ride. Breathe in the fresh country air and take in the spectacular scenery as you ride through charming cobblestone villages, pausing to take pictures and learn about the region’s history and culture from your guide. You’ll cycle on a mostly flat route for no more than 20 minutes at a time, with a few small inclines leading up through the villages.
Break up your bike tour with visits to two or three local wineries, where you'll relax and enjoy samples of local Austrian wine and other specialties including the region’s famed apricot jam and liqueur.
In between wine tastings, make the most of some free time to explore the UNESCO World Heritage-listed medieval village of Dürnstein, one of the most-visited destinations in the Wachau region. Above the town, you’ll find the ruins of Kuenringer Castle, where King Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned in 1192.
Meet with your group and guide again and head to your last stop, a family-run winery. Enjoy your own prepacked lunch or a BBQ lunch served by the winery (own expense); see sample menu below. Feel free to follow your lunch with some relaxation time by the Danube River. Perhaps go for a swim or enjoy a game of beach volleyball with other people in your group.
Finish your time in the Wachau Valley with a scenic ferry ride across the Danube River, then board the train with your guide and enjoy a glass of wine on the journey back to Vienna.
Main course (choice of one):
- Marinated steak, bratwurst sausages and Bernerwurst (sausages with bacon and cheese) served with Austrian-style potato salad, green salad and bread rolls
- Homemade vegetable patties and tofu sausage served with Austrian-style potato salad, green salad and bread rolls
I would highly recommend this trip to anyone! We had a blast!
What a great time we had! Would do this again in a heartbeat. Other than the rain, we couldn't have expected anything better. We saw some beautiful country, met wonderful people and tasted some great wines. What makes this tour special was the ability to go into the wine makers homes. This truly makes it up close and personal.