- Independent bike tour of Mt Vernon
- Cycle along the historic Mt Vernon Trail and enjoy views of the Potomac River
- Explore beautiful Mt Vernon Estate at your own pace to see how George Washington lived
- Admire stately 18th-century architecture, walk through the gardens, and browse fascinating historical exhibits
- Upgrade to enjoy a relaxing, narrated Potomac River cruise
- Option to come back to the shop next day to pick-up a bike rental for a second consecutive day at no extra cost
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Having biked most of the 200 or so kilometers of the Hawkes Bay (NZ) bike trails, which are wonderful, I have to say, this is my new favourite ride. We arrived early in Old Alexandria town so we were able to wander the beautiful cobbled streets and soak up the ambience of this lovely town before arriving at the Bike and Roll depot near the waterfront at 10 am. We were soon dispatched with our bikes and clear instructions and followed the track through the city and out into the beautiful Virginian countryside along the Potomac river. There were a few lumps (small hills) but our bikes dealt with them admirably. We travelled there in the middle of October so the fall colours were just showing through. We thoroughly enjoyed the tour of Mt Vernon but felt a little rushed as the ferry was not available and we had to bike back to be in time for the 5 o'clock closing (apparently it usually closes a bit later). The trip back was a little easier and just as spectacular.We travelled with our 23 year old son who enjoyed it just as much as we did and I would unreservedly recommend this trip to anyone wanting to get a little exercise while sightseeing. I should mention there is a free trolley bus that travels up and down King Street from the train station, which we thankfully discovered on the way back.
Bike shop staff were extremely helpful in sizing the bikes for everyone in our group, making sure we all felt comfortable (including those who hadn't been on bicycles for decades), and provided very clear directions for our self-guided tour. The ride was challenging without being overwhelming, and Mt. Vernon was magnificent. I only wish we had had more time to explore - but that's only because we spent too much time enjoying lunch!