- Full-day tour of Wellington and the South Coast, from Wellington
- Learn about Wellington’s maritime history, Maori culture and more at the renowned Museum of Wellington City and Sea
- Enjoy a fun 4WD journey to Red Rocks where you visit a New Zealand fur seal colony
- Pass through Terawhiti Station, one of New Zealand's largest and oldest sheep stations, now also the site of a modern wind farm
- Get great views of the Tasman Sea, Pacific Ocean, Cook Strait and, on a clear day, the South Island
- Relax during a bistro lunch at a cafe with excellent views over Wellington Harbour
- Small-group tour with a maximum of six people allows for a more customized experience
Recent Photos of This Tour
What You Can Expect
Located in a historic building on Jervois Quay, the museum features exhibits that detail the city’s maritime history, early Maori and European settlements and Wellington's changes during the 20th century. Learn about Maori mythic figures such as the Taniwha, powerful spirits who live in deep waters including those of Wellington Harbour. Your guide leads you through the highlights of the fascinating exhibits and gives you time to browse on your own.
Departing the museum, head south of the city on an exhilarating 4WD journey to Red Rocks on the ‘seal coast’ near Owhiro Bay. During the drive, your guide points out an active fault line, old Maori settlement sites, Terawhiti Station and more. Cross spectacularly scenic headlands to reach Red Rocks, where a colony of fur seals hauls out on the rust-colored rocks. Observe the seals and enjoy exceptional views of the Tasman Sea where it meets the Pacific Ocean, the tumultuous waters of Cook Strait and the distant mountain ranges of the South Island.
After taking in the south coast, return to Wellington where you savor a delicious lunch at a bistro cafe with panoramic views over the harbor. Then visit the Wellington Botanic Garden, a 60-acre (25-hectare) estate that is the only botanic garden in New Zealand dedicated solely to native plants. Your guide shares stories of the New Zealand bush as you walk along scenic paths lined with native forest, plant and flower collections. You may also see native birds such as tui, kereru, silver eye, kingfisher, grey warbler, and bell birds.
At the end of a fascinating full-day tour, your tour ends with return to your hotel.
This was an awesome tour. Our tour guide Mike was absolutely amazing. He took us all around Wellington. His knowledge of the area is expert.
Nicole L R
Our tour was amazing and so was our guide Mike. He was knowledgeable, pleasant and an overall great tour guide. The sights were amazing and the who.e day was great...well worth the money. I wpould highly recommend this tour!
Wonderful tour and tour guide. We throughly enjoed the day.
Great tour. Went to unbelievable sights doing things which could never be done on your own.
Ron and Geri Bise Napa, Ca
It's a fantastic trip. We've seen lots of things. The guide is friendly and helpful. Many thanks.