- The Lord of the Rings movie locations and Palliser Bay day trip from Wellington
- See Helm's Deep, Rivendell and other Middle-earth film sites
- Drive through the charming towns of Featherston and Martinborough
- Enjoy a light lunch at a rustic lakeside hotel
- Visit the North Island’s largest fur seal colony on Cape Palliser Bay
- Stop at a top vineyard in Martinborough for wine tastings
You’ll also see where the Great River Anduin flowed through Middle-earth between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood, and visit Kaitoke Park, the location for Rivendell. See where Frodo’s recovery from the sword attack by the Ringwraiths was staged, and take a walk across the swing bridge to see the pristine river flowing below.
As your tour continues through the Rimutaka and Tararua Ranges, your guide will point out local landmarks. Pass through the rural farming towns of Featherston and Martinborough before reaching the tiny settlement of Lake Ferry, where you’ll stop for lunch (included) at a country-style waterfront inn.
After lunch, your tour continues to Cape Palliser Bay, where you’ll have an up-close encounter with one of New Zealand’s largest fur seal colonies. If you’re feeling energetic, follow the 250 steps leading up to the Cape Palliser lighthouse for some stupendous coastal views.
On your return journey to Wellington, stop at a Martinborough winery for a tasting of New Zealand’s renowned wines. The region produces a range of wine varieties but is especially prized for its pinot noir.
Reviewed by Ross W, April 2013
Perfect day. Our guide Brian was excellent, very knowledgable and definitely went the extra mile. We could not fault anything. The forest trip and seeing the seals at Cape Palliser was a real hi light. Brian's driving was very safe and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed his company. Ross and Julia Walker and Ross and Maxine Houltham.
Reviewed by Suzanne E, USA, August 2008