- Day trip to Varaždin and Trakošćan Castle from Zagreb
- Explore Croatia’s former capital, the town of Varaždin, on a walking tour
- Learn about Varaždin’s history while admiring its plethora of Baroque architecture
- Pose for photos next to sights like Varaždin Town Hall
- Visit Trakošćan Castle, an attraction that’s said to be one of Croatia’s most impressive castles
- Walk around Trakošćan Castle with a guide and hear of the Croatian aristocracy who once lived there
Why Our Insiders Chose This Tour
Transport and the castle's entrance fee is included on this private tour, so there are no hidden surprises on the day! Walking around the inside of Trakošćan Castle is sure to be a highlight, and you’ll hear all about the site's legends and history from your guide.
What You Can Expect
Hop off your coach and enjoy a leisurely paced stroll around the pretty cobblestone streets that comprise the town center. Gaze around at the resplendent Baroque buildings that throng the alleyways while hearing tales and trivia about the town.
Hear how the town flourished as Croatia’s center of commerce during the late 17th century, enjoying a stint as the country’s capital before a fire snuffed out its glory nearly a century later. See top Varaždin attractions like the Cathedral of the Assumption and the Monastery of St John the Baptist, and enjoy photo stops next to interesting buildings like Varaždin Town Hall.
Finish your walking tour in the center of town, and then enjoy an hour at leisure to sightsee independently or find a restaurant for lunch (own expense). Then, meet your guide at the prearranged time and continue your day trip to the town of Trakošćan, a short distance away.
The town’s spectacular centerpiece is Trakošćan Castle, a magnificent fortress that’s said to date back as far as the 13th century. Head inside with your guide, and explore the castle on a tour, admiring a medley of architectural styles from Romanesque to Gothic and Baroque. Learn about the Croatian aristocracy who once lived inside the castle and admire the portraits of them that seem to hang at every twist and turn.
After exploring the castle, return to your coach and relax on the journey south to Zagreb. Your tour finishes with a hotel drop-off.