Ports of Auckland
Cruise liners dock right at the heart of the city, making it easy to explore the CBD (downtown) independently or as part of a guided city tour. Don’t skip the Sky Tower, Auckland Museum, or the Parnell and Ponsonby neighborhoods. Shore excursions typically combine city tours, harbor cruises, and more; meanwhile, other tours head to Auckland wineries, Waitakere Ranges National Park, Waiheke Island, and Hobbiton.
As a popular “exchange port,” visitors can spend plenty of time exploring Auckland and the North Island before or after their cruise too—organized multi-day trips are popular and convenient ways to do so.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Shore excursions are great ways to get to know this diverse city and its striking surrounds.
- The Port of Auckland is a key exchange port, where cruise ships start and end their journeys.
- Ships from across the world dock at the Port of Auckland, as do lots of New Zealand-only cruise liners.
- Auckland is a great destination for wine fans, culture fiends, and water sports enthusiasts alike.
- Both Queens Wharf and Princes Wharf use covered gangways and have tourist information centers, but no luggage storage facilities.
How to Get to Auckland From the Ports of Auckland
Cruise ships dock at Queens Wharf or Princes Wharf, situated in the center of downtown Auckland. Shops and cafés surround the port and Auckland's main shopping district is just a 10-minute walk away, although taxis are plentiful. Shore excursions to farther-flung destinations typically include round-trip transportation.
The official languages of New Zealand are Maori, English, and New Zealand Sign Language. The local currency is the New Zealand dollar, although some tourist destinations may accept US dollars. ATMs and currency exchange offices are readily available. There's a visitor information center at the Ports of Auckland dock, which also offers internet access.
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Waiheke Island
- Things to do in Tauranga
- Things to do in Rotorua
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Blenheim
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in Wanaka
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Victoria