Auckland can get chilly during the winter months (June to August), but New Zealand’s largest city is just as much fun when the temperatures drop. Whether you want to cozy up indoors, hit the slopes, or take in the sights—here’s how to experience Auckland this winter.
- Take a trip to Ohakune and hit the slopes to ski and snowboard at the North Island’s biggest ski resort.
- Get your adrenaline pumping with an exhilarating SkyJump or SkyWalk at the Auckland Sky Tower.
- Indulge in delicious street food and regional specialties during Auckland Restaurant Month in August.
- Enjoy popular day trip destinations, such as the Bay of Islands, Waitomo Glowworm Caves, or Rotorua, without the summer crowds.
- Make the most of a rainy day and visit indoor attractions like Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium, Auckland Museum, or Auckland Art Gallery.
- Get your powder fix without having to trek to the mountains at Snowplanet in Silverdale, New Zealand’s only indoor snow dome.
- Enjoy a once-a-year experience at the Hobbiton Movie Set and tuck into a midwinter feast at Green Dragon Inn.