Batukaru Temple (Pura Luhur Batukaru)
As the setting of Pura Luhur Batukaru Temple is reasonably remote, many visitors prefer the convenience of a tour or a private driver over self-drive. Many Pura Luhur Batukaru Temple tours include a trip to the Jatiluwih rice terrace, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as Tanah Lot, the sea temple sacred to the Indonesians, not far from Tabanan.
Entrance tickets are affordable and include the rental of a sarong so that men and women can meet temple standards of decency.
Recent reviews from experiences in Bali
Things to Know Before You Go
As always at Balinese temples, a sarong (included in the entrance fee) is a must for both men and women at Batukaru Temple.
As at other Balinese temples, menstruating women are forbidden from entering the site.
The scenic setting and absence of tourists makes Pura Luhur Batukaru a must for aspiring photographers.
How to Get There
There is no public transport to Pura Luhur Batukaru, so your options are self-drive to Penebel, a private driver, or an organized Bali tour. With patchy signposting and unreliable traffic signals adding to Bali’s roadway hassles, many will prefer to leave the driving to the professionals and opt for a Tabanan day tour with round-trip transport, which might also visit Tanah Lot and Jatiluwih.
When to Get There
Open year-round, Pura Luhur Batukaru, like other temples, is particularly appealing during the key Balinese festivals, when worshippers come to bring offerings and the grounds are alive with colored cloth and bamboo decorations. When visiting during the rainy season, weather is generally more clement in the mornings.
Bali Temple Etiquette
It’s important to show respect at Balinese Hindu temples, such as Pura Luhur Batukaru: Both men and women should wear sarongs. The Balinese welcome visitors to the main sections of their temples, but areas they consider most sacred are typically reserved for worshippers.
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Western Australia
- Things to do in Northern Territory
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Palawan
- Mt. Batukaru (Gunung Batukaru)
- Tirta Gangga Water Garden (Taman Tirtagangga)
- Lake Beratan (Danau Bratan)
- Pasar Candi Kuning (Bedugul Market)
- Bali Butterfly Park (Taman Kupu-Kupu Bali)
- Ulun Danu Beratan Temple (Pura Ulun Danu Bratan)
- Gitgit Waterfalls (Air Terjun Gitgit)
- Taman Ayun Temple (Pura Taman Ayun)
- Tegalalang Rice Terrace (Sawah Terasering Tegalalang)
- Neka Art Museum
- Aling-Aling Waterfalls (Air Terjun Aling-Aling)
- Campuhan Ridge Walk
- Don Antonio Blanco Museum