The National Museum of Serbia is the largest and oldest museum in Serbia and the former Yugoslavia. Sitting on Belgrade’s Republic Square, the museum was established in 1844 and has since grown to include more than 400,000 pieces in 34 different archaeological, numismatic, artistic and historical collections. The archaeological collection consists of sculptures from the 5th to 7th millennium BC, thousands of items from ancient Rome and ancient Greece and a rare gold sarcophagus and mummy from ancient Egypt. The numismatic collection features hundreds of thousands coins, medals, rings and seals, including coins issued by Phillip II of Macedonia and Alexander the Great.
The museum’s collection of medieval artifacts hails mostly from Europe and Asia and features an illustrated 362-page manuscript of the Miroslav Gospels written in 1186, rings belonging to 14th century Serbian Queen Theodora and King Milutin’s mantle from the 1300s. Its art collection is also world-renowned, with extremely rare pieces from masters like Matisse, Picasso, Renoir, Degas and Cezanne. It also includes hundreds of paintings by Italian, Dutch, Flemish, Russian, Japanese, Austrian, German and Yugoslav artists.
The National Museum of Serbia is located in the center of Belgrade on a square area between the Republic Square, the former Theatre Square, and Čika Ljubina, Vasina and Laze Pačua streets. It can be reached by any bus, trolley or minibus heading to Republic Square. One ticket entitles a visitor to visit the National Museum, the Gallery of Frescoes and the Museum of Vuk and Dositej over two days.