Hackeschen Hoefe is the largest enclosed courtyard area in Germany, consisting of eight interconnected areas. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall, this courtyard area has become a central contact point for locals and visitors alike.
Opened in 1906, the building complex originally consisted of offices, businesses, factories and apartments. It was designed in an Art Nouveau style by designer and architect August Endel, which was heavily preserved and restored in 1972. During renovations in the 1990s, the concept of having businesses and apartments in the same building was once again put into practice.
Today, the eight courtyards between Rosenthaler Strasse and the Sophien Strasse encompass 27,000 square meters for 40 industrial enterprises, cultural institutions and apartments. All around the courtyards, you'll also find bars, clubs and restaurants, making this area a popular spot for nightlife. There are also several smaller shops and art galleries, as well as a movie theater.
The historic courtyards are located across from the Hackeschen Market in the Scheunenviertel (barn district) in the Spandau section of Berlin Mitte, and can be accessed through an arched main entrance located at Rosenthaler Straße 40/41.