Villa Tugendhat Tours and Activities
The Villa Tugendhat in Brno is the only example of Modern architecture in the Czech Republic. Also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it was designed by famed architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe in the early 20th century. The villa was confiscated by the Gestapo in 1939, suffered serious damage at the end of World War II, when it served as quarters and stables for the Soviet military. The original owner, Greta Tugendhat, returned to the villa in 1967 and a group of Czech architects began work to return it to its original state. After another renewal and restoration in 2010-12, the villa now appears much as it did in 1930.
Since 1994, the villa has been open to the public as a museum. The interior features exact replicas of the original furnishings and an exhibition tells the story of van der Rohe, the Tugendhat family and the era during which is was built. Guided tours take visitors through the main living space, kitchen, bedrooms, garden and, on extended tours, the technical floor where the boiler room, engine room and laundry room can be found.