A bucket-list destination for snorkelers and scuba divers, Australia's Great Barrier Reef is the largest reef system on the planet, offering more than 2,900 reefs and 900 islands to explore. Here’s how to make sure you have an unforgettable visit.
- Admire the UNESCO-listed landscapes of the Great Barrier Reef on a half-day, full-day, or multi-day tour from Cairns, Port Douglas, Airlie Beach, or Brisbane.
- Cruise to popular destinations such as Hamilton Island and the Whitsundays, Green Island, Magnetic Island, the Low Isles, Agincourt Reef, or Michaelmas Cay.
- Swim and snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef marine park, accompanied by an expert instructor or marine biologist guide.
- Marvel at the colorful coral reefs; spot whales, sea turtles, and dugongs from the boat; or snorkel amid tropical fish such as clownfish, parrotfish, and butterfly fish.
- Discover the underwater world on a scuba dive excursion, with options including introductory dives, PADI certification courses, and deep-sea dives for certified divers only.
- Enjoy vibrant views aboard a glass-bottom boat, luxury catamaran, or cruise ship.
- Many cruises include hotel pickup and port transfers; lunch or refreshments on-board; and additional activities such as a seawalker helmet walk, an underwater scooter ride, or a short helicopter flight over the reef.