The Circular Congregational Church of Charleston is one of the oldest continuously worshipping churches in the United States of America. English Congregationalists, Scots Presbyterians, and French Huguenots came together in a spirit of diversity and liberality to erect this impressive architectural structure, built round to represent and hold an open meeting place with a free-flowing exchange of ideas. This meeting house helped to define the young “Charles Towne” and early on this street was known as Meeting House Street, later shortened to simply “Meeting Street,” where the church, to this day, still stands.
Founded in 1681 along with city of Charleston, the Circular Church, in this way, acts as a partner with the Charleston Museum to house some of greatest wealth of Colonial America’s history. With its own ripe history including its efforts to promote tolerance and understanding, its years in exile, and the extensive and ancient graveyard art, to this day, the Circular Congregational Church of Charleston acts as a gathering place for Congregationalists and history lovers alike.